Re: Will you wait for iPhone 5 or buy now?
john5481
Contributor - Level 2

iPhone Nano this summer. Not another full sized iPhone. No reason to wait unless you want the small one

0 Likes
slick_guy

john5481 wrote:

Why should Verizon have to offer a deal for the iPhone? They don't for any other phone that seems to get updated every year or so. If you can't afford it don't buy it

They offered an early upgrade for the droid x (and other droid phones).....

0 Likes
JoeVegasinPA

wsl03 wrote:

I'm not really big on anything Apple, but if I were to go with the Iphone, I would definately be waiting for the Iphone 5 to come out in the summer, Apple has released a new Iphone version every summer for quite a while now, I think it is reasonable to assume that a new model will be coming out this summer and if it were to come out this summer would available on the Verizon network as well.

Yes but the new carrier (VZW) changes the whole game.  It seems inane they would release a new version only 5 or 6 months after selling a few million in Q1.

0 Likes
peace95

The GSM/CDMA combo chip is already in the Verizon iPhone 4; so best bet is an iPhone 4G this summer, which can be used on either carrier. A few other features to look for then: LTE capability might be added by that version so you can get 4G speed, at least in the major metro areas. Or it could take iPhone 5 to add LTE.

Either way, unless there's some kind of upgrade discount, I'll wait for the next phone this summer: I don't find the idea of paying $650 in June all that appetizing. If I were a rich man...

0 Likes
Disco63
Contributor - Level 1

I went from an LG Venus to an iPhone4.  I plan to keep this one for a long time.  Especially with no more NE2.  This is the first phone I have EVER paid for.  And thankfully it only cost me $99!

0 Likes
emike2k3

There have been a couple of news stories in the WSJ and NYT about how Apple is looking to put cheaper components into the next version of the iPhone to bring down costs as well as a revamp of their Mobile Me service to make it more along the lines of a cloud based storage solution for their mobile devices.  One of the most expensive components in smart phones (besides the screen) is the flash memory.  From the WSJ stuff it sounds like Apple may reduce the amount of memory in the next version of the iPhone in favor of offering up streaming content to the phone (ie your music and videos from iTunes being hosted in the cloud and streamed down to you when needed).

From what I've been reading there will be one model of iPhone 5 that would work on both AT&T and Verizon via the Qualcom chipset that supports both networks at once but that there wouldn't be any other major revisions to the look and feel of the device.  Maybe the next version of the custom CPU that Apple developed for the iPhone and iPad.

I planned ahead when I switched to Verizon last week by getting my iPhone from Best Buy with their Buy Back Program (free until Feb 26) so that I knew I would get some of my money back when the iPhone 5 came out but if what I've been reading is true (cheaper components, less memory, relying on streaming services) then I may hold off and stick it out with my iPhone 4.

0 Likes
peace95

The Buy Back Program helps; but if you buy an iPhone for $200, you'll get back a $100 in a few months when the iPhone 5 is released. Then, you'll pay upwards of $550 for the iPhone 5  ($650 retail minus $100 for the Buy Back Program). That's still a steep price for a phone. Without a cheaper upgrade path from Verizon, I'm going to sit put until the summer when the next iPhone is released.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Isn't the buy back based on the full retail of the phone and not the subsidized price?  

0 Likes
tim40

How do you know Verizon is going to get the Iphone 5 during the summer and how do you know it is going to be a 4G phone for sure.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am willing to put money down that the iPhone 5 will NOT be on Verizon this year.  It will be February, and more than likely like the REST OF THE WORLD if you own an iPhone you will be able to upgrade to the newest one every year. Personally I will NOT get the next years version as it will more than likely be the same deal between the 3G, and the 3GS.  The year after will be the difference maker to make my wife, and I to switch to it.

0 Likes