Would you buy the iPhone 5 again?
NeedMoreCoffee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been an Android guy since the Motorola Droid 1 days and most recently have used the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  In short, I've been happy with this phone other than the fact it doesn't do its most important feature well such as HOLDING A SIGNAL.  Seriously, it is a freaking joke.  It was a problem when I bought this phone and I kept thinking that VZW would roll out an update to fix it.  Nope.  A dozen tech calls might fix it. Nope.  Even VZW seems to have given up on the phone.  Now when I call to complain, they just remind me I have an upgrade coming.  Most people fault VZW, I fault Google for allowing their flagship Nexus device to launch with such poor construction. 

So onto my question.  My wife has the iPhone 4S, which for the most part has been great.  At a minimum it holds a steady 3G signal where I can't get anything.  At this time, I still want 4G and I like the bigger size of the iPhone 5, not to mention the global capabilities.

Would you buy the IPhone 5 again? A quick Google search shows there was some reception issues with it as well on VZW, but many of those were older. Has it been resolved?  I can't drop a ton of money and deal with this stupidity again.  Otherwise I might hold on for the Moto X.  I'm through with Samsung, forever. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Would you buy the iPhone 5 again?
AZSALUKI
Legend

you mentioned verizon and google. why wouldn't you fault samsung? the maker of the phone? anyhow, in general, i think motorolas have the best radios in them. i have the samsung note ii and the radio/signal is great. the nexus was known to have radio issues so i wouldn't necessarily switch to an iphone because one android had a bad signal. i do think the iphone5 is noce, but if you're going to burn an upgrade, at least wait until the 5s (or whatever they call it) comes out in a few weeks or so.

0 Likes
NeedMoreCoffee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do fault Samsung as well, but more Google since it was a "Nexus" device.  In the end, it doesn't matter whose fault it was.  I just want the best bang for my buck, while meeting my specific needs in a smart phone.  I'm looking at the 5 because I think the price will drop lower once the 5s is released.

0 Likes
823caleb
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I would not buy the I Phone 5 again.  There is a problem with data.  You can check other forums to see the problems people have with the data being used when they are not using the phone.  I have had data used at 2am when I am sound asleep and the phone is off.  Since I use wifi in my home I have to turn off cellular in order for the data not to be used.  It seems that this is a known problem since I was told do do this by Verizon.  Whether IOS7 will fix this remains to be seen.

0 Likes
kimmerkoko

WOW, I just had my Verizon insurout ance replacement iphone 4s stolen in Cambridge, MA and located it with the App Find my Phone, and need a phone desperately as it is my work phone.  The replacement 4S stopped holding a charge for more than an hour and many other problems, like when you go to Contacts, and try to choose a person to call or text, the names start automatically scrolling and it was like diving in a pool of water that was 12' wide from a skyscraper....it took like 15 attempts to finally get your finger on the right contact and was absolutely frustrating.  So I was headed out to suck up the retail price for a new iphone 5 because my contract isn't up yet w/ Verizon and I also won't be using them again.

So, I have 2 questions as I am at my wit's end and taking vacation day to deal with this crap today as I fly 60 % of the time.  An as an FYI, Boston and Cambridge campus is a hot spot for stolen Smartphones, so you might wanna tape that baby to your chest and use the speaker phone:-)

1.  Is the iphone 5 a piece of crap too and does anyone have Samsung Galaxy or any other models they don't have issues with?

2.  I am NOT tech savvy and was going to try to buy a used one on Craigslist or Ebay but all the recommendations are that you ask all these questions and go pick it up in person???  I am a female and that is not going to happen.....HELPPP  Any other options before I jump off that skyscraper into that pool???

Sorry for long post, but dealing with this mess is soooo frustrating and I feel like I am hanging by a noose by Verizon.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i think the iphone 5 is nice. however, i have a samsung galaxy noteii and my wife and son have the sansung galaxy siii. i just think you can do so much more with the galaxy line of phones. i would NOT pay retail for the iphone 5 because a new one is coming out next month. "if" you decide to go with an iphone, i would wait and get the new one in a month, and in the meantime just buy whatever you can find for cheap on ebay or craigslist. then sell it when you get whatever you end up getting.

0 Likes
thehudd

Short answer; yes, I'd buy the iphone 5 again. I, too, was a former Motorola Droid owner and enjoyed the experience. That being said, while the iphone lacks the customization of the droid, I've never had to reboot the phone, pull the battery (as if that was possible), or do the little things it took to keep the droid functioning. the iphone just works and causes no problems for me. I also like the 4G speed which I did not have on the droid, but that's no longer an issue with most phones.

Nor have I experienced the so-called data problem with the iphone 5, or had any difficulty with voice quality on calls. I would agree with AZSALUKI that it would be a good idea to wait a month if the 5s is released. You would have the chioice of the full priced 5s or likely pick up the 5 for about half. From what I read, I'm not sure the changes in the 5s will be worth the additional cost.

Just one man's observations.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know your time is valuable and I understand how important it is to have a working device quickly, kimmerkoko. We don't want to see you go anywhere and I definitely want to help get you a phone. Did you already reach out to Asurion Insurance  http://bit.ly/07CrqPK about a 2nd replacement? When a phone they send begins to malfunction or if a replacement is lost or stolen, they are more than helpful with replacement options.  We also have a lot of great devices available at http://bit.ly/nD0WuY that can be sent to the address you chose for your convenience, including the latest and gretest iPhone 5 or Galaxy phones.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes