charged an upgrade fee
bomani1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I pre-ordered my I5 on the 14th. After looking at my bill after the order. They charged me a $30.00 upgrade fee. What happened to my $30.00 discount tords my new phone after 6/29/12. I was aloud to upgrade after the 29 of june. This is sept 14th. Can someone please help with this. Did anyone else notice this when they pre-ordered and upgraded there phone to I5. So basically they discounted me, and charged me back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: charged an upgrade fee
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The upgrade fee has been in place since April 2012.  Verizon Wireless was the last of the four largest carrier to charge an upgrade fee.  It is also lower that the $36 upgrade at Sprint and AT&T.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sueilla
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the article in CNN Money, on April 22 "Verizon to charge $30 to upgrade your phone" see link ... http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/11/technology/verizon-upgrade-fee/index.htm  I had a $30 NE2 discount (luckily, because it's the last one) and was charged $30 to upgrade to the i5 ... so it was a wash!  But we are no longer receiving NE2 discounts so be glad you got this one.  If you want to avoid the $30 fee next time, try ebay or apple (no $30 extra charge).  * Just read that Apple will charge the $30 fee ... so it seems if you purchase full price or find on ebay, are you limited to the options in order to bypass the upgrade fee.  I, personally, think it's a small price to pay... all 3 major cell companies have you coming and going - so unless you want to go to one of the smaller companies pinging off the big ones, well, you get what you pay for.

Message was edited by: sueilla

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also purchasing a phone at full retail price won't involve an upgrade fee either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.