high data usage since adding a phone to share everything
kehami

VERIZON???   I have a read a couple blurbs about high usage but there was 8 pages.  Same story, I just added an Iphone 5c switching to a share everything. I was on my phone (Samsung nexus) all the time with my previous plan and never used the 2GB.  After adding the Iphone I have upgraded twice and now up to 6GB with that at 90% right now with 8 days left in the cycle.  The iphone user is hardly on his phone either.  I used the data calculator and it indicates that we are under 4GB.  The iphone is the greater user of the data. Soooo.....

do I need to install an app killer on the iphone?

is there something that I need to program in the iphone so it does not use the data it does?

do I need to do something with the Wi-Fi on the iphone?

do I need change my plan to something other than a share everything plan?

I want to be able to use my phone other that 5 minutes a day and same with the iphone.  Need to get a handle on this.  Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: high data usage since adding a phone to share everything
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Heres what I had to do to deactivate all my 5c cellular data use.  Please take a moment to read the follow up discussion comments too.

Good Luck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

0 Likes
blm70

apparently out of the box, since I have 4GLTE, youtube now wants to send me the highest resolution video. Today I listened to 1hr of a podcast on youtube (audio only, still picture for video). I had to up my plan from 3G to 5G a week ago, and because today I listened an hour, I got a usage warning. NO CLUE why I could listen to youtube all day long up til recently without using a lot of data.

Settings -> Cellular -> Scroll down to "Use cellular data for:" section. You will see what app is eating up the data, and how much. You can turn off Cellular usage for any app - so squelch the misbehaving app from using any cell data.

Next month when my usage resets, I'll manually change the resolution to 144p to see if that fixes things on youtube. if so I will dare to try a higher resolution.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, from what I have read... YT will detect if you are on an LTE network and stream their highest resolution automatically... Unless you specify otherwise.  Personally I have deactivated my phones LTE function... I just don't need it.

0 Likes
Teresawy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel there's something WRONG with the Apple iPhone 5c!  Since purchasing the phone the data usage is HORRIBLE!  The data has been shut off and STILL data is being used???!!!! What's going on?  What are our options?

0 Likes
Teresawy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't purchase the Apple iPhone 5c!

0 Likes