i reported my iPhone 5s as lost/stolen, can it still be used to send and receive texts if whoever has it is connected to wifi?
junior9584

I really need to know if whoever has this phone can still be using it to send or receive texts!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: i reported my iPhone 5s as lost/stolen, can it still be used to send and receive texts if whoever has it is connected to wifi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

junior1954,

No worries! If it's reported lost/stolen, the line is suspended, so no calls can be made and no messages can be used. However, if she knows the passcode, she will be able to see the information on the device. She can see your messages, call logs, etc. In addition, if connected to Wifi, she is able to use it for an internet connection as well. Are you able to retreive the device from her?

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: i reported my iPhone 5s as lost/stolen, can it still be used to send and receive texts if whoever has it is connected to wifi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello junior9584!

Sorry to hear that your phone is lost or stolen! I'm glad you suspended the line already.
Great news! Though Wifi can still be used, text messages cannot be sent/received. Was the device locked with a passcode?

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
junior9584

yes it was. It was used by my ex and I believe she has it. Is there any way for me to track the phone to locate it?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi again junior9584!

Oh, what a bummer! Do you mean that your ex knows the passcode on how to unlock it? If that's the case, then messages will be able to be used.
When it comes to locating the device, there is an application called "Find My iPhone" that can be downloaded in order to locate it in these circumstances. By any chance has that application been downloaded?

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
junior9584

Yes she knows the passcode. No I never downloaded the "Find my iPhone" app! Does that mean that if she does have the phone that she is still able to use it for messaging?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

junior1954,

No worries! If it's reported lost/stolen, the line is suspended, so no calls can be made and no messages can be used. However, if she knows the passcode, she will be able to see the information on the device. She can see your messages, call logs, etc. In addition, if connected to Wifi, she is able to use it for an internet connection as well. Are you able to retreive the device from her?

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
junior9584

No I am not able to receive the phone from her if she has it! She refuses to talk with me or anything. I just wanted to know for sure that if she has it that she is unable to use it!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see, junior9584!
I'm sorry this happened, and I wish you luck in getting your device back. Do you have insurance on it? You can file a claim 888-881-2622 or http://bit.ly/10ytiHt

Thanks so much and try to have a better day!

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes