iPhone 5 External Speaker stopped working
jacks81x

I was talking to someone on Speaker when all of a sudden it just stopped working.  Now I get no sounds at all from the external speakers (ie, Music, Videos, Siri, Ringtones, etc).  Has anyone experienced this before?  Is this a hardware issue?  I really don't have to go replace my phone if I don't have to. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 External Speaker stopped working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning and happy Sunday jacks81x,

There is nothing more frustrating than being unable to use your phone to communicate. In today’s wireless world, staying connected is a necessity to stay productive and informed. Please accept my sincerest apology because the last thing we want is for you to be inconvenienced by your device. I would love the opportunity to partner with you and get your device working as expected. May I ask is there any physical or liquid damage on the device? Also, what software version do you have on the device? Below are some troubleshooting steps that I would like for you to try on the iPhone to get this resolved.

• Adjust the volume on the side of the phone and in the Settings menu.
  • Verify that Bluetooth and wi-fi is turned off in Settings.
  • Check for a software update on your device.
  • Settings > General > Software Update
  • Initiate a phone call using a pair of Apple branded headphones.

Also, it would help if you can perform some of the steps noted in this article from Apple Inc. to assist with the audio issue. http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1631

After the completing the steps above then please retest the email functionality for improvements. Once you have done so then please share your findings just in case additional assistance is needed. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jacks81x

No physical or water damage.  I was in the middle of talking to someone on speaker phone when it stopped working suddenly.  So it had nothing to do with the volume or other settings.  It's just the external speaker that's no longer working.  I can still make and receive calls without the speaker phone.  However, when someone calls me the phone will only vibrate because the external speaker is not working.  My phone has the latest iOS 6.1.2 update. 

0 Likes
petedwyer1

I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday......I had phone on coffee table and was talking to someone on external speaker and it just quit mid conversation.........i think i got the phone last october and it has not been abused...so needless to say I am very disappointed.  This was the first apple product I have had and most likely will be the last.  I plan on going to verizon today to see what they can do to fix......the real down side is the phone does not RING at all it only vibrates......over the past weekend I did an IOS upgrade

0 Likes
tmc404

Have you had any luck with this? The exact same thing happened to me this week. Was talking on speaker phone when it suddenly went dead and now the phone will not ring, play music, etc unless I have headphones plugged in. I tried updating my phone without any luck.

0 Likes
jacks81x

I went to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they confirmed that the external speaker isn't working.  Since my phone is still under warranty, they replaced the speaker for free.

0 Likes
jacks81x

I suggest going to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store rather than going to

Verizon. Unless you purchased warranty with Verizon, they'll probably just

give you a new phone and charge you for it. At the Apple store, they can

actually just replace the speaker component of the phone. Since your phone

has a 1-year warranty with Apple, they'll do it for free.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:07 AM, petedwyer1

0 Likes