iPhone 5 LTE not active very much
No1x

Even though the Verzion coverage map shows my area has strong LTE coverage, the LTE on my new iPhone 5 is barely ever on.  If I switch to wifi or it goes off on its own it almost never returns to LTE.  If I go into airplane mode or reboot the phone sometimes LTE will return.  I have a Verizon LTE iPad which never loses its LTE signal.  Does the LTE radio in the iPhone 5 have worse than the one in the iPad or is there simply something wrong with my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 LTE not active very much
B33
Legend

So you have tried power Cycles with out Little Success. ? Correct.  were is the City you live in if you can give the approximate Location i probably can Look and see were the 4G is..

0 Likes
No1x

By power cycles you mean let the phone's battery drain and then charge it back up?  If so, I have done them but I'm not sure why that would effect my LTE radio reception. I live in northern Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  I work in the middle of the city though and the LTE cutting out and never coming back happens at work as well as at home.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

No Sir have you Shut your iPhone off and then Turn it Back on.. On apple there kind of Like my Razr i think the Battery is Non Removable but you should be able to Soft Reset it.  On my Razr Maxx i can Soft Reset it By Holding Down the The lower Volume Button and the Power at the Same Time but i don't know if the i 5 can do this but there should be something on it that works like our Razr's Do...

Update i found something that might be Beneficial to Ya..  Its the iPhone 5 PDF Manual all 156 Pages of it Smiley Happy b33

http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia/mim/apple_iphone5/iphone_user_guide.pdf

0 Likes
No1x

yes i have. rebooting the phone does cause the lte to return most of the time. I dont think i should have to reboot my phone just to get lte signal back though.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well try resetting your phone) it's a thing i do almost Every Day on my Maxx's and it might help that or to Update the P.R.L and i have suggested to allot of Android Owners on the Sim Card they are Very Delicate in the Gold Area and if there not Held Correctly and are Accidentally Touched in this area the Oils and the Static Electricity in our Fingers can cause big Issues with the Device they Go into. Not saying it Could have happen but if your Problem Exist i would have the Sim Replace and when it's done Make sure it's not Bent when it's remove from it's Holder and not Touched when inserted..

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

Please consolidate feedback on iPhone 5 VZW LTE problems to this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19683487#19683487

0 Likes
No1x

I posted in that thread as well.The problem with the apple support forms is that neither apple nor verizon look at them. Verizon support does go through these forums.

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

For those other than No1x, who is familiar with the current status.

For those being told to swap iPhone 5 HW or Nano SIM, I can report that neither will fix this problem.

** UPDATE FROM VZW - PLEASE READ **

I spoke with "Robert" in Tech support. You reach tech support by calling to report a device problem 800-922-0204, reaching customer service and telling them you need to speak with Tech support.

Robert told me that every ticket I had opened previously with VZW was pointless because those tickets only go to the local tower team.

Robert stated that the way that these issues are escalated inside of Verizon is via their internal "device forum", which is similar to the Community on verizonwireless, but only accessible by members of their technical staff.

There is no way to reach Robert back again thanks to VZW not allowing any direct inbound communication.

Robert posted a forum post internally at VZW under the following title:

"iphone 5 loses 4g lte"

Posted: 10-02-2012 3:53P ET

He claims this post will also be found if they are under your device (iPhone 5) and simply search for "lte" in the forum.

My request to EVERYONE experiencing this problem is to immediately call VZW at 800-922-0204 and register the behavior you are experiencing with them, ask them to add your information to this forum post and ask them to TEXT YOU confirmation that this was done. Texting you gets recorded on your account for future reference.  Please do this in addition to contact 800-MY-APPLE and opening up a case that references the forum post below. Do not bother to report to an Apple Store "Genius" bar or a Verizon Wireless store directly as neither has yielded me any results.

Per my earlier response above,

In addition to posting here, please consolidate feedback on iPhone 5 VZW LTE problems to this Apple thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19683487#19683487

0 Likes
DFresh721

I live in northern NJ and commute to New York City every day. I have serious reception issues with the iPhone 5 compared to my Motorolla Droid. Same locations no data connection. Inside my office no the phone is on LTE, but very low, or non-existent data. As Pete said above there are many people who have this issue, so probably an Apple software issue. Verizon - please help resolve this issue.

0 Likes