iPhone 5 LTE very poor signal (downtown NYC - WFC area)
PaulPjr

I work in World Financial Center in NYC and have consistently poor LTE signal on my iPhone 5 (the problem is not limited to inside the building, but anywhere in this area).  I never see more than 2 bars and mostly only 1.  LTE is unusable and sucks down the battery.  I have resorted to turning LTE off and using 3G.  Everyone around me who has an AT&T iPhone 5 has great speeds and signal.  Is anyone else having the same problems??

I contacted VZW support and supposedly a ticket was created for me but I never received the text message that I was supposed to get...

It's ironic that I left AT&T for Verizon because their coverage used to be so bad, but now I'm considering going back when my contract is up...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 LTE very poor signal (downtown NYC - WFC area)
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Paul,

I just completed a 3-day road trip throughout NYC Mon-Wed of this week, primarily on the West Side (85th down to 34th, Central Park West, Broadway, etc) and a little on the East Side (1st) and can confirm what you are seeing.  I tried to open up a ticket with VZW on the problems since I had collected very specific location, signal, performance and experience data (and wasted 2GB of data and hours of my time troubleshooting), but they would not open any tower tickets for me since I left NYC to go home and was not in NYC long enough for them to be willing to open up a ticket for me.  I suggest you call VZW back and ensure they text you the tower ticket #, also ask them to link your case information to their internal device forum "iphone 5 loses 4g lte" and text you confirmation of this too.

You can find my NYC test results at the link below to see if your experience matches mine.  Whenever possible, I compared my VZW iPhone 5 experience to my AT&T Galaxy S III at the same locations and included those results as well.

Scroll down to Oct 11 at 6:09A for my NYC results. For what it's worth, I'm in Metro Boston and my iPhone 5 VZW experience has been just as bad out here.  I have tried 3 iPhone 5's and 3 nano SIMs all on VZW.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329076?start=255&tstart=0

0 Likes
PaulPjr

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.  I will definitely get back to them as you suggest.

Paul

0 Likes
Keitarou
Contributor - Level 1

I am having similar issues in NYC downtown. I am near the stock exchange and LTE signal is so weak that i lose internet connection altogether. Although it shows 1 bar and LTE on it, there is no internet connection. I have to put the phone in airplane mode and back to get service. But then after few minutes, i lose connection again. I have also requested a ticket but haven't seen a text yet. When I do get LTE connection, it is usually somewhere between 0.6 mbps and 3.5 mbps. If Verizon doesn't make it better, I might cancel my service and pay the ETF and go to Sprint. I'm willing to give them a chance since their 3G service can't be worse than Verizon in Wall street area. VERIZON CAN YOU HEAR US!!!!!

0 Likes
PaulPjr

Thats exactly what is happening to me.  When I get in the area now, I have to turn of LTE or my phone is useless...

0 Likes
Phil08

I work in the Times Square/Bryant Park/Penn Station zone. Horrible service for me. LTE has been completely down (even with a airplane mode toggle) for the past hour. I hope they are fixing something.

I called and logged tower tickets and have resorted to tweeting poor service locations on Twitter to @verizonwireless.

Please tweet out your poor LTE service. Its the only way this will get attention at VZW.

I left ATT as well and am so upset. Verizon please stand behind your marketing as the largest and fastest LTE network in America in the biggest city.

0 Likes
PaulPjr

Just tweeted to @VZWSupport...

0 Likes
Phil08

I just called Verizon Tech support again. They have no idea what is going on. Please call Verizon tech support and have them log a tower ticket for poor service in your area. This is the only way this will get escalated. It takes 5 minutes. Please call!!!

0 Likes
Phil08

Please call Verizon tech support and log your issue. It's the only way this will change.

0 Likes
Keitarou
Contributor - Level 1

Just opened a ticket again. The tech person I spoke to stated that when he logged my ticket, it went as priority. He thinks that there are other tickets out there and Verizon knows about it. But he did say more people calling in for issues should make them work faster. And I got a text with the ticket number so if you didn't get one when you opened a ticket, call again. Make sure you are on the phone when the text is received. He waited until I got the text with a ticket number.

0 Likes