Re: iPhone 5 Upgrade Question
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Joelpro wrote:

In the same boat.  If VZW doesn't allow this I'm going to be ticked. Long time customer who waited patiently for the iPhone 4 to come to VZW and got it on release day.  Apple will be on a multiple week wait by the time Oct 7 rolls around.

then you shouldntt have signed a contract stating you would wait 20 months before asking for an upgrade

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You are going to be furious if you have to wait 2 more weeks????? Really????

It seems Apple should just have postponed the announcement for another 2 weeks, then, to keep their LOYAL release day adopters happy.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

You are going to be furious if you have to wait 2 more weeks????? Really????

It seems Apple should just have postponed the announcement for another 2 weeks, then, to keep their LOYAL release day adopters happy.

why? now they can sell more at full price to people that cant wait

gbplesh

I think you are missing the point.  rschnoor is not furious because of the date, furious because of the backlog and backorder there will be if you miss the preorder date for these phones.  There is something to say here for loggin in at midnight tonight, preordering with a new 2 year agreement and then sitting back and relaxing as you wait for the phone to be delivered versus missing the preorder date, and then trying to track one down at a later date after october 7. 

With this being LTE and the fact that Verizon has the best LTE coverage than anyone hands down, the Verizon iphone 5 will be the hottest for sure.  And when you take that into consideration and the shortage of supply up front with the rumors that there were delays in manufacturing, it may be not just 2 weeks, but months before you can see the phone if you cant preorder on launch day.  Lets not forget the work that it will take to get one as well, not as easy as logging on for five seconds to order a preorder for launch day.

I guess the way i see it, is its a matter of principle with Verizon here.   I think that Verizon should allow for launch day iPhone 4 customers to upgrade for launch day for iPhone 5.  I dont blame apple here, maybe Verizon should have not dragged their feet and launched iPhone 4 in Feb of 2011 but in Fall of 2010 like ATT and the rest of the world.  Then those customers would have qualified for early upgrade already.

I put  blame solely on Verizon here as this is their policy and they should be able to make exception for loyal Verizon customers who ordered day 1 of iPhone 4 launch.  If not that, then they should put aside enough phones to accommodate these loyal customers so come Oct 7, they can have a separate order date to not have to go through the hoops of trying to track one down and maybe wait for months.  

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

gbplesh wrote:

I think you are missing the point.  rschnoor is not furious because of the date, furious because of the backlog and backorder there will be if you miss the preorder date for these phones.  There is something to say here for loggin in at midnight tonight, preordering with a new 2 year agreement and then sitting back and relaxing as you wait for the phone to be delivered versus missing the preorder date, and then trying to track one down at a later date after october 7. 

its just a phone, wait.  you can see any issues it has, such has you have to hol dit a certain way

With this being LTE and the fact that Verizon has the best LTE coverage than anyone hands down, the Verizon iphone 5 will be the hottest for sure.  And when you take that into consideration and the shortage of supply up front with the rumors that there were delays in manufacturing, it may be not just 2 weeks, but months before you can see the phone if you cant preorder on launch day.  Lets not forget the work that it will take to get one as well, not as easy as logging on for five seconds to order a preorder for launch day.

I guess the way i see it, is its a matter of principle with Verizon here.   I think that Verizon should allow for launch day iPhone 4 customers to upgrade for launch day for iPhone 5.  I dont blame apple here, maybe Verizon should have not dragged their feet and launched iPhone 4 in Feb of 2011 but in Fall of 2010 like ATT and the rest of the world.  Then those customers would have qualified for early upgrade already.

its just a phone, 2 weeks will not kill anyone.  if they do it for one phone, they should do it for EVERYONE on the network.  where does it stop?

I put  blame solely on Verizon here as this is their policy and they should be able to make exception for loyal Verizon customers who ordered day 1 of iPhone 4 launch.  If not that, then they should put aside enough phones to accommodate these loyal customers so come Oct 7, they can have a separate order date to not have to go through the hoops of trying to track one down and maybe wait for months.  

i blame users.  they have an entitlement mentality and judt shout gimmee gimmee gimmee.  they signed a contract.  honor it

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

And I think YOU are missing the point.

Apple, not Verizon, is preventing people from upgrading early. Apple, not Verizon, is the manufacturer for the devices and therefore supply problems are the fault of Apple, not Verizon, if, in fact, there should be any fault placed. Apple, not Verizon, set the date for the announcement. Apple, not Verizon, set the date for the release, which would prevent 1st day adopters of the iPhone 4 from pre-ordering the iPhone 5 prior to the iPhone 5 going into a backorder situation.

Now explain to me what VERIZON has done to be furious about so I do not miss the point.

Edit: quite often, Verizon will allow people to upgrade their phone when it is a month or so until they are actually eligible, just not with Apple products, even when they are NOT in a backorder situation. This seems to put it squarely on the shoulders of Apple.

0 Likes
Ictgm87

OP. I called VZW yesterday to ask this question. I got ahold of someone in the upgrades department and told her I wasn't eligible until 10/7. I asked if I was able to upgrade early. Without missing a beat she told me yes, they allow early upgrades within 30 days of the eligibility date.

She did say however, they don't know when they will be releasing the phone, it may not be available for presale tomorrow from VZW, only available from an apple retail store or online, and more information will follow.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Ictgm87 wrote:

OP. I called VZW yesterday to ask this question. I got ahold of someone in the upgrades department and told her I wasn't eligible until 10/7. I asked if I was able to upgrade early. Without missing a beat she told me yes, they allow early upgrades within 30 days of the eligibility date.

She did say however, they don't know when they will be releasing the phone, it may not be available for presale tomorrow from VZW, only available from an apple retail store or online, and more information will follow.

really? that is a new one.  verizon does sometimes allow this if the phone is broken, but you have to go through cs to do it.  and its never been used for pre-orders.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It will be interesting to see if this is really the case, the CS rep mis-spoke, you did not specify it was for the iPhone 5, or you mis-understood the answer.

Edit: another scenario is that EVERYONE is actually eligible to upgrade early. Just not as early as they would sometimes like. EVERYONE can upgrade after having completed 20 months of a 2yr contract, essentially being able to upgrade 4 months earlier than completing their 24 month contract. 5 months early, now that may be another story!!!

0 Likes
Ictgm87

Ok... looks like I was mistaken... attached is a voicemail a VZW cs rep left for me earlier today... Play message

0 Likes