iPhone 5 and Network Extender
JohnAppleseed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have an iPhone 4s and use a network extender because of poor coverage in my neighborhood. I've been told that the network extender is for 3g only. Does anyone know if the extender will work with iPhone5 on LTE? I called customer support and the person I spoke with didn't have an answer. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 and Network Extender
kcb77
Enthusiast - Level 3

The network extender is 3G and 1x only, no LTE.  There currently is not an LTE extender available.

For what its worth, LTE is only for data, your voice still goes over the same 1x/3G network it did before.  I don't know about you, but if I'm in range of my network extender, I'm also in WiFi range, so no need for LTE.

johnita36
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't have the iphone5 but I have the samsung galaxy S3 and it's 4g and works great on my network extender but I'm in an area that doesn't get 4g anyway so mine is always in 3g. But it has drastically changed how well my service is, I get great signal now where there were spots in my house that got no service. I love the network extender so I would think your iphone5 should work on it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey all!

Just wanted to clarify that the current Network Extender is for voice and 3G data ONLY. Since your 4G phone is backwards comptible (meaning it will work on 3G if 4G isn't available) it will connect to the 3G network from the Network Extender. I would agree with kcb77 that if you have the Network Extender, you may just want to connect to your home wi-fi for internet access and let the Network Extender help deliver your calls.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
GadgetGeek26

I ran into trouble this morning (10/18/12) with my iPhone 5 while behind my Network Extender.  I would make a call, get the tone confirming that I am, in fact behind the Network Extender, then would get about 10 to 15 seconds of talk time then, all audio would be lost.  The call wouldn't drop but, I could not hear or be heard.  So, I called VZW and they confirmed that the iPhone 5 is NOT compatible with the Network Extender.  They said the coverage will be intermittent but, the two devices are not compatible. 

They did state that the Network Extender team will look for updates and get back to me w/in 72 hours.  I'm not holding my breath. 

Thomas

0 Likes
Rk507

i have the same problem with my iphone 5 and my 3g network extender

i get dropped calls and i get the same problem when connected to a call after 15 second the

call is still going and i hear nothing and i was talking to my buddy when it happen after a few seconds

he call me right back and i didnt even know that i lost him . i called verizon and they had to esclated

to special tech support and they have to get back to 10/18/2012

0 Likes
kcb77
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure why there would be issues.  3G (EVDO) and CDMA signals are standard and certified devices follow that standard. As Verizon puts it: "There is no need for a new phone. The Network Extender works like a miniature cell phone tower in your home."  Your data will be limited to 3G as the extender does not broadcast an LTE signal.  Voice goes over CDMA exclusively, so the lack of LTE will not affect calls at all.  There is nothing technically between the iPhone 5 and the network extender that would cause any problems.

I have 2 iPhone 5s in my house and have had absolutely no problems with the extender.  I was on a 45 minute call last night without any interruption or any other issues.

I would suggest you rule out the easy stuff by restarting (unplugging, waiting ~1 min, replugging) your extender as well as resetting your iPhone's network settings by going Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings (warning: you will lose your saved WiFi and the phone will restart). 

0 Likes
Rk507

To follow up the Verizon tech support called me back and said the iPhone 5 is not compatible when the iPhone 5 lte is turn on

He told me that there working on the problem and there is no timetable so far with the lte turn off I had no problem with network extender

0 Likes
tdbourquin

I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 today. When I initially brought it home, the Verizon Wireless Network Extender would not work with it. However, I did the universal "something is not working so just re-boot it" method and unplugged the wireless extender for about a minute. When it came back online, the iPhone 5 worked fine with it.

Essentially, the network extender seems to turn off the LTE while it is in range of the extender. That's not a problem anyway because when I am in range of the extender, I am also in range of my home Wi-Fi network and so I am using the Wi-Fi for data and the network extender for calls.

I do notice that occasionally the signal bars will only show 1 or 2 bars until a call is actually made. Whereas my iPhone 4s always showed 5 full bars within range of the network extender.

Bottom line: unplug your extender for a bit and let it re-boot. Your iPhone 5 should work fine with it thereafter.

0 Likes
softballjunkie2

It seems there are mixed opinions on this regard. I recently replaced my 4S with a 5S and I have had challenges with compatibility with my Verizon Network Extender. I work in sales so it is important for my clients to understand me. I have been told that the transmission is "garbled" and my clients are having a hard time understanding me. I get an auto feedback symptom though the phone and sometimes I have to put the phone on speaker so they can hear me. I have been on the phone with apple and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the phone. I went to the Verizon store and I cant find anyone whom can tell me what is going on. I am assuming there is a compatibility issue as my extender is several years old. Will that  matter?

0 Likes