Re: iPhone 5, but must change data plan from unlimited to limited???
machthree

He is correct - if you watch say 20 youtube videos a month and each video is only, say, 10MB of data transmitted to your existing phone because you're on 3G and YouTube is streaming you lower quality (i.e. less data) because of your slower connection speed.  Now say you're on LTE and because of the available bandwidth, YouTube is sending you 50MB of data per video giving you higher quality but much more data sent to your phone.  Your usage pattern has not changed, but your bandwidth consumption went up substantially.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

One can lower the quality of that connection(There is the option).  You can dictate your data either which way, and when you are on a mobile connection by default it is set to the lower quality unless YOU turn it on in which you changed your habits at that point.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

machthree wrote:

He is correct - if you watch say 20 youtube videos a month and each video is only, say, 10MB of data transmitted to your existing phone because you're on 3G and YouTube is streaming you lower quality (i.e. less data) because of your slower connection speed.  Now say you're on LTE and because of the available bandwidth, YouTube is sending you 50MB of data per video giving you higher quality but much more data sent to your phone.  Your usage pattern has not changed, but your bandwidth consumption went up substantially.

He/you are not correct because he/you are assuming that streaming is taking place. I ask my question again, but will try to be a bit more specific to make it easier for you. If you are not streaming music/videos(not everyone does) how will usage increase by switching from 3G to 4G if usage habits do not change? Answer is that it won't necessarily increase.

Yes, IF you STREAM(not everyone does) you MAY have higher data usage because of the adjustable bitrate. If you lower the bitrate(consumer adjustable) it won't necessarily increase, though.

It has been claimed that data usage WILL increase. I am just saying that THIS is not necessarily true. IT DEPENDS ON THE USAGE HABITS OF THE CONSUMER.

What you are saying is kind of like saying "when someone turns 21, their alcohol consumption WILL increase." What if they NEVER take a drink of alcohol? Will it still increase? NO!

0 Likes
Mike_Hill
Enthusiast - Level 1

It appears WE ARE BOTH CORRECT Smiley Happy rcschnoor

Your original statement of "LTE in and of itself WILL NOT use more data" is not true. Because IF the person who was changing WAS streaming data, then LTE in and of itself would indeed be the cause for more data consumption.

My statement is only true IF the person is a streamer, and to your defense, not everyone streams video, but then again, those who would be concerned with leaving a grandfathered data plan, are most likely the select few that are indeed streaming data Smiley Sad

Thank you for your diligent observations... rcschnoor those with less knowledge may have missed the fact that my statement was irrelevant if you did not stream Smiley Happy

SO TO CLARIFY MY STATEMENT: It should have read..... "LTE WILL INCREASE USE, EVEN IF YOU HAD THE EXACT SAME USAGE PATTERS... BUT ONLY IF YOU STREAM VIDEO & MUSIC"

Lastly, while I agree, there is no reason to stream huge kbps to a 4" screen, I do not believe that the iphone discerns whether or not is hooked up to a TV and then adjust the bandwidth consumption accordingly. Nor do I believe that customers would even begin to know where to make such a setting adjustment, but rest assured, it will become something to watch.... I  do believe apps simply streams to the highest available kbps provided (since screens are now super high def). But again, I am but a simple guy with a limited understanding of these technologies. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Mike_Hill wrote:

Your original statement of "LTE in and of itself WILL NOT use more data" is not true. Because IF the person who was changing WAS streaming data, then LTE in and of itself would indeed be the cause for more data consumption.

That is the point, LTE in and of itself WILL NOT use more data. Only when it is paired with other factors, such as streaming music/videos will it use more data. Just having LTE, though, does not necessarily mean you will be using more data. Saying "if you switch to LTE, then you will consume more data" is a false statement unless you know more about the data usage habits of the user. This is all I have been saying from the start. Yes, you MAY use more data, but you will not necessarily do so. More info is needed before this determination can be made.

0 Likes
cfspence1003
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apparently this is the case but with that you must also go to the store and get a new free SIM card as once a SIM card is programmed with a number, it can't be wiped out.

0 Likes
natasftw

rcschnoor wrote:

Of course, if you plan on starting to stream movies/music continuously when you hadn't prior to upgrading, of course your usage will go up.

It all depends on how you utilize your phone.

Here's where the problem lies.  You are correct in your statement "It all depends on how you utilize your phone."

However, the previous statement is not accurate.  As they've pointed out, streaming movies/music in any manner prior and continuing the same amount of streaming will now utilize more data, without you taking action to set limitations.

What this means, "if you plan on starting" isn't accurate.  Starting now has no bearing.  Yes, increasing your data will increase your data.  This would be true regardless of a swap from 3G to LTE or 3G to 3G.  It's irrelevant. 

You're quick to point out the statements they've been throwing out are only true in some cases, but not all.  Yours are the same. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

By default using the higher bandwidth is setup by default low.  You have to set it high to use more bandwidth.  If you download an app and they set it high(Pandora, TuneIn Pro, and similar apps) then that's on them for you using more data not LTE. 

0 Likes
psgmolina
Enthusiast - Level 3

did you go to a local 3rd party store?? even though it says Verizon Wireless on the outside, they can some times it seems  follow and make their own rules.. I just went to my local wireless store and was willing to pay full price for a new 32 GB so i can keep my unlimited data but they refused to sell it to me. This even after i got a verizon rep on the phone from the store and they spoke to the local store rep..

I needed to not only sign up to a new two year contract(i am month to month) but also needed to go on the shared data plan.  What a joke.. the sales rep kept on trying to sell me on the shared data plans and asking me to add another line.

0 Likes