iPhone 5 dropping WiFi
Rigg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I'm on my second iPhone 5 with the identical, very frustrating WiFi-dropping issue! I also thought the cause was possibly my heavy-duty iPhone case, but it doesn't matter, with or without a case, it still drops WiFi. I have iOS 7.0.6 (11B651).

I even purchased the new more powerful Verizon FiOS Router* and I haven't see any improvement! WiFi will only stay on continuously if I am within 10 feet of my router, which is ridiculous!

*Actiontec Model #: MI424WR with Gigabit Ethernet (GigE for Verizon FiOS); Wireless N speeds up to 130 Mbps

My family and I have been huge Apple fans and a huge Verizon fans! I can't tell you how many times we have literally sold their products to friends because of their awesome products and track record, until now.

Verizon, Apple & Actiontec,

One very interesting note! The WiFi that I use at work never drops and never switches to data! Never! Even if I go outside in our parking lot, it doesn't drop WiFi at all…

What questions should I ask our IT department about their router settings/hardware that might solve the problem? This could be the vital information you need to talk with Apple and/or your router manufacturers to finally solve the iPhone 5 WiFi problem. Maybe?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Still no solution to iPhone 5 Wifi....
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rigg,

We want you to enjoy your iPhone! Let's get to the bottom of this. Based on the information you provided, it sounds like the problem is only with the home router; do all the phones at home have the same problem? How far are you from the router when it drops?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rigg
Enthusiast - Level 2

AdaS_VZW,

All of the other phones and wireless devices work great everywhere in our house (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPad 2, MacBook, MacBook Pro) -- full bars and never drop the WiFi signal like my iPhone 5 does.

Most of the time I am about 35-40 feet from the router when it drops the signal (in our living room). Our house is "U" shaped: the router is at the top/right of the U; the top/left of the U is where we use WiFi the most, in our living room. The closer I am to the router the stronger the signal gets and is less likely to drop the signal. When I am within 10 feet of the router, it never drops the signal.

I have considered moving the router to the middle of the house, but it seems ridiculous since that is why I purchased the more powerful router.

None of the other devices have lost a WiFi signal with either the old or new routers. Even when we have guests with additional devices logged in to my WiFi, everyone has a full signal strength (including various Android phones and tablets). Nobody we know has an iPhone 5 to replicate the isolated issue I am having. However, this being my 2nd iPhone 5 with the identical problem, does make that comparison.

My point about my office WiFi is there must be something unique with their hardware/software/settings in order for my phone to work so well. For simplicity sake, let's say all routers basically use settings "A/B/C/D/E" that work with all wireless devices. However, what if my office uses settings "A/B/C/X/E" which also works with all wireless devices. Apparently, the settings with X may be what the iPhone 5 will ONLY work with. If I could find out the difference between my office and home routers settings, it could provide a clue? I'm totally guessing here.

I also thought it might be interference from other devices at home in close proximity, but even when I am by myself with no other wireless devices operating, the WiFi still drops. Even if I turn off the Cellular Data setting on my phone, WiFi still drops. Most of the time I have to go into my settings and manually turn WiFi back on. Even then, it struggles to connect.

I have spent countless hours on the phone and in the stores with both Apple and Verizon Wireless about this issue. I have tried many many times to reset, upgrade, update, replace hardware, etc., with no success. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can provide a solution?

Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rigg,

I understand the need to be able to connect to Wi-Fi to not have to worry about data use. I would love to dig deeper into your Wi-Fi connection concerns. Please follow and private message me so I can investigate options further.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cwbyfan62
Enthusiast - Level 3

My sister had the same WiFi issues with her iPhone 5. No resolution ever found for her. Interested in seeing if you get resolution!

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 dropping WiFi
TSA19

I'm having the same issue.  I've recently had to switch from AT&T to Verizon getting the iPhone 5S from verizon.  Older iPhone 5 via AT&T connected to my home (and other) wifi's with no issue.  Verizon's iPhone 5  connects very intermitently and often drops to 3G or LTE.  Extremely frustrated and disappointed with this service.  Is there a work around, or update?  Should I need to come into a Verizon store to have my phone checked out?

0 Likes
Not applicable

This is just a suggestion, I don't work for verizon but this may help.

In every router brand you have an option to assign individual IP addresses to the devices. On my Netgear A/C router I assign these IP addresses to each device, so it can be 192.168.1.129 etc. The device never moves from the assigned IP.

How to do it is in your routers documentation for your type of router.

After this is completed a refresh of the router sets it in place. I am running 18+ devices both wired and wireless and never an issue.

This may help you in your situations.

Good Luck

Rigg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Elector,

Since I haven't heard back from Verizon about this issue, I am willing to try anything!

Just so I am clear, when you say " assign individual IP addresses to the devices" does that mean our iPad2 might be 192.168.1.129, iPhone 4S 192.168.1.130, iPhone 5 192.168.1.131, etc.? Each device has a unique IP address?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes exactly.

I do that for all my devices.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Rigg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello again Elector,

I have gone through my router's portal settings as well as browsed the 162 page manual and cannot find how to assign individual IP addresses to my devices (is it under IP Address Distribution? Port Forwarding?). I just don't know enough to be comfortable changing random settings. Even though we have different routers, could you possibly help if you have time?

When I called Verizon tech support, they forwarded me to the router manufacturer, then the router manufacturer tells me to contact Verizon tech support!

Thank you very much!

0 Likes