iPhone 5 shipping with scuffs/chips right out of the box
cman0928
Contributor - Level 1

This is a worldwide issue and has unofficially been termed 'Scuffgate'. Apple and Foxconn have been having issues with phones shipping with cosmetic issues such as scuffs, scratches, and chips around mostly the beveled edges of the iPhone 5 since it's launch back in September. Has anyone who has received their phone from VZW received a phone right out of the box with these issues? If so, what is Verizon doing for you?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57518019-1/iphone-5-say-hello-to-scuffgate/

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 shipping with scuffs/chips right out of the box
Anthrax82

Hey its Anthrax82 from Apple forums, Heres ac pic of the scuff on my phone i got today. Not very visible but its a scratch but its near the high volume bottonIMAG0755.jpg

0 Likes
cman0928
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, I see it. Right below the + button on the beveled edge. Not too bad of a scratch that you can't deal with if need be, but really you shouldn't have to make any sacrifices when you're paying for a brand new device.

0 Likes
Anthrax82

Im OCD so ill just end up looking at it all the time, I refuse to deal with something damaged out of box, ill order it when they get the black one

0 Likes
smileyt06

Yeah when I received mines I have the same scratch/dent in the same place.  But Im going through an issue right now where my ear speaker gives off this weird noise sometimes which in terms has giving me a bad ear ache.  So now I had to order a new phone and check this it wont even be delivered to me till Nov.16th so I have to wait a whole month again for a new phone.  But the good thing is hopefully my new device will have no scratches or dents on it!

0 Likes
cman0928
Contributor - Level 1

Anthrax just received his phone (production week 41 or 42) which was built just a couple weeks ago and his still has a scratch. Apple hasn't figured this issue out yet it appears. Expect to get a phone with at least one cosmetic issue and you won't be overly disappointed. Just remember you have 14 days through VZW to make an exchange or you can call Apple directly. They've been helping people out quite a bit.

0 Likes
Anthrax82

Yes i know, I cant order the replacement until they get the last one i shipped out, man i hope i dont have to do this again Smiley Sad

0 Likes
smileyt06

Yea Verizon just ordered me a new one and then when it come I send my old one back. Apple told me at the store that because I'm still in my 14 day grace period it is best to go through Verizon!

0 Likes
cman0928
Contributor - Level 1

Anthrax: Honestly though bro, if that's the only scratch on the device, you're doing alright. We've both seen/heard much worse stories over on the Apple forum. How about that guy that's been through six phones and today the one they sent him sounds like it has loose pieces rattling around inside when he shakes it? That's insane and an absolutely unacceptable device. So one little scratch on an otherwise flawless phone isn't a dealbreaker. Just throw a case you really like over it and wait til they receive your black one back so you can place another order.

0 Likes
Anthrax82

Yeah im just going to wait it out until they get the black one. I notice a small rattle on mine too but i realized its the power button it rattles a little. I have it on a case so im not worried about it now. Ill just wait till next week. I hope this phone i order will be the last one but whos to say.

0 Likes