iPhone 5 sucking up a lot of data (purchased in Nov 2012)
iphone5user1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone 5 (running Verizon 13.3 and iOS 6.0.2) I purchased in November and it's sucking up a lot of data. I am aware of the data problems from last year, but I thought those were resolved.

I am not streaming videos/music, downloading large files, or doing anything that would suck up a lot of data (I'm on wifi 99% of the time)

Changing the phone from 4G to 3G coverage has not helped.

Verizon Wireless support has been unhelpful. I've done everything they've told me and they still haven't gauged the problem.

Can anyone provide me with assistance?

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 5 sucking up a lot of data (purchased in Nov 2012)
mchap2k

my phone did the same thing they had to give me a new one said the other was defective not having those problems now

0 Likes
Mgawe

Im having the same issue and Verizon was not very helpful and I was charged for overages. I know for sure its an issue with phone. They also refused to refund me the overage fees ($300) and told me to go to apple. Im thinking about switching. I also have an Iphone 5 and started experiencing problems after I updated my IOS to 6.0.2 which was the "fix". Im very frustrated because I switched to verizon because of network issues with other carriers!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi iphone5user1! WiFi usage is a great way to save on that extra mobile data usage. And you are correct, the iOS 6.0.2 with version 13.3 was a wonderful update Apple provided to resolve any residual trouble with the data that had been reported in earlier versions.

You may also have an application on your phone that hasn't been updated http://bit.ly/YnX9Cx to ensure compatibility with latest software. If you experience trouble with updating your apps, you may need to complete a restore http://bit.ly/b9oN5S of the phone to purge any old information and refresh the entire device with the newest settings.

There's also the option to turn off cellular data http://bit.ly/dBqDdV while connected to Wi-Fi (Go to Settings > General > Cellular > Cellular Data > Change from ON to OFF)

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

This response is a joke! Verizon and Apple released a *JOINT* press release stating that there are known issues with the I Phone 5/IOS6 that prevent users from connecting to WiFi. Our average data usage for 3+ years was 1.6 GB's per month. Since the purchase of the I Phone 5 in October-our usage has ranged between 8-11+ GB's per statement cycle. We have wi fi at home AND at work. We do not use data while we are driving between home and work.

I most recently spoke with an upper level Verizon Tech Support person yesterday, who stated it is a "known issue". Verizon is "waiting on Apple to provide a resolution that WORKS". "This is effecting mass amounts of people globally", "A *NEW* ticket was just opened, which means they have not figured out what is causing it", "It looks like a software problem/IOS6", "Neither of the carrier updates have worked" "We are waiting on Apple to provide another update" "SIT TIGHT and WAIT for a fix".

So~considering we still have excessive data overage charges which is not in line with 3+ years of usage and this subject is still making front page headlines in both the NY Times and Huffington Post, I would say that there is NOT yet a fix and you will have to continue calling into Verizon monthly to have the overage charges reversed. I have already spoken to an attorney about this and it's a good thing Verizon is reversing the charges. It's the only thing they are doing that is preventing them from being sued over this, at the moment. If they really wanted to please their customers, they would provide unlimited data to their I Phone 5 owners who have documented issues with this for 4 statement cycles, now and counting. The time, effort, inconsistent statements and stress will cost them more than the overages in the end. They are losing customers daily because of this. I know many people that have paid the out of contract fees just to be free of this problem-and it was cheaper for them to do that than to pay these ridiculous fees. It is illegal to charge customers for cellular data when WIFI is being used. (In my case-we keep cellular data turned OFF at all times, yet still have cellular data usage-go figure!)

crazywater
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are exactly right sunshinegirlie. Since getting the iPhone 5 in December I have seen an significant increase in data usage on my account.  I have been experiencing the WiFi issue where the phone will either not connect at all (unable to join network) or it will connect and then drop minutes later.  I have also had the problem where it will only connect to my WiFi home network when I am standing in front of the router.  When I take 2-3 steps away the signal drops.  It is not the router since I purchased a new router and the same thing happens.  I have tried all the the fixes posted here and on the Apple communities, none work.  This is obviously a hardware issue.

Apple released 6.0.2 and then 6.1 yesterday and neither release has done anything to fix this issue.   I am strongly considering selling this POS on ebay and getting a Samsung GS3.

sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

6.1 which was released yesterday does not even address the wifi issue.

0 Likes
dgarciajr
Enthusiast - Level 2
wonderinwhy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a new iPhone 5 Dec 1st. For 3 plus years prior steady 1.5gb per month. Now I am averaging 8gb per month. Of course I switched from my unlimited at that time thinking I would never go over 2gb. They have replaced the phone once and it did nothing. I just talked to a rep today who said he has never heard of this problem??I told him about this board. He said he would note the computer?? I have same issues as everyone and have tried all the "tricks". I am using massive amounts of cellular data while next to wifi router all day, plugged into wall, with cellular turned off it still uses data though it helps but I thinks thats a crazy thing turn off cell every time you are within a wifi?? Pretty bummed!! Now I have a 10gb plan. Crazy.

0 Likes
wonderinwhy
Enthusiast - Level 2

The update did not help. It still uses cell while wifi is close by!!

0 Likes