Re: iPhone 5 sucking up a lot of data (purchased in Nov 2012)
GooisKing
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is a bug in the iPhone 5 software...

0 Likes
exavan

Keeping an eye on this as well. I looked at my usage graph for the las t two years with an iPhone 4 and I was under 4Gb a month. This included listening to Pandora in my car for 2 hours a day, browsing news apps and the odd youtube or movie trailer on IMDB.

Now in my SECOND DAY with the new plan and iPhone 5 I got a warning that said I've used 2Gb of data, HALF of my 4Gb data plan in a day?

0 Likes
j2bluesman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for describing your test scenario.  After getting off the phone with Verizon tech support I ran across your post.  Verizon had suggested updating to IOS 6.1.4 which we have, but I am skeptical to whether or not it would help.  We will try your test and see what the results are.  I'm assuming the cellular data should be zero if it is working correctly on WiFi.  If the tests show the cellular data is still being used then hopefully we will be refunded for the overage charges.  Thank you very much again for sharing you experience.

0 Likes
chrisinlf

My wife is on 3rd iPhone 5 now (2 Replacements as a lame attempt to fix this problem) NO LTE, only 3G. Everything reset and initialized, no installed apps. Hours of calls to knuckleheads at Verizon support that know less about the phone and carrier than I do. Offered only to replace the iPhone 5 with a lame 2 year old model Droid or Samsung. This is totally unfair business practices and unacceptable.

0 Likes
notabloke
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are having this same problem  Upgraded to iPhone 5's 1 May (both my kids lines; having had droids for 2 years prior with same apps and never, ever coming close to using their full 2g of data in all that time).  Within days, I received a warning they'd gone over 50% of data.  Received another they'd gone over 75%.  I expected it to be higher than usual because they were installing apps and setting up accounts, etc...  Normal stuff.  I taught them to close out their apps when they weren't using them, forbid them to play games, stream video, listen to music, etc... 

However, when both phones got to 90% of their data use by the middle of the cycle, I was alarmed.  I started to check the web for information on what would cause the overages.  Found many web pages about 5's using/reporting large data usage.  Something about installing an apple update and then an update for the headphone jack.  Neither helped.  We do not connect either phone to wifi, ever so that shouldn't be the issue. 

My first call to customer service last month, I was lucky enough to get the most argumentative, rude, condescending service rep Verizon has ever had the pleasure of hiring.  She kept telling me I was wrong, it was just they were installing all the new stuff.  Next month things would be different.  I should consider upgrading our data because 2g isn't much and she has 6g on her phone and never has a problem.  Whatever!  I am not going to up their lines data, especially when it's a problem with the phone.  She did offer me a free month of verizon's usage controls.  I set that up and no overages. 

My second call was today.  I consider myself blessed as the guy whom answered my call was gracious, kind, and seemed genuinely interested in resolving my issue.  However, he did try to feed me a line of BS.  I quickly corrected him and he let it go.  Different from the first rep.  I told him I wanted this issue addressed, that it was not our daughter abusing her data limit, otherwise we would have seen this in her over the last 2 years.  He fed me some jibberish about putting in a 'ticket' to have tech check whether the actual data usage was real or falsely reported.  I pressed him 4 times to explain to me how tech can tell whether the data usage was real or not but he couldn't tell me.  Those people were network technicians and he is not.  Uh-huh...  He also said he couldn't put in this 'ticket' until after our bill posted.  What does that have to do with it?  Can't tech see that information all the time?  No, only after your bill posts, he said.  That doesn't make any sense to me, I said.  Back to they're network techs...  He then said he'd call me back after the ticket was submitted, researched, and let me know what they found out.  I laughed and said, so you're really going to call me back?  Because in the forums here on verizon and other sites, people complain about not receiving a call back from verizon.  He said he'd entered it in his outlook calendar to put in the ticket and call me when the ticket was reported on. 

I kept him on the phone for a bit longer, going over what I wanted to see addressed, making sure he scheduled my phone call, making sure he noted our account this was the second time I had called about this same issue... I reiterated that I was not going to pay for overages for erroneous reporting or that verizon tool that limits use to a certain amount ($4.99 a month) and that Verizon needs to do something to keep the phone from going over. He comp'd me another month of that service. 

What gets me the most is that 1/2 way through our billing cycle, my line has unlimited data (4s) and thus far I have used .31 of data.  I regularly stream video, Facebook, pinterest, instagram, share photos, play music, i heart radio, email, download stuff, limited gaming.  I do whatever I want to do and still I'm at .31g...  My husbands line (4s) is at 1.1g and he uses it like you would a computer.  He does a lot of surfing on it.  Our other kid's 5 is at .51 thus far and she has done more on her phone than our oldest kid has. 

I am not understanding this at all!  If it's a known issue, take care of the customer until you can get a fix out.  Stop stonewalling, brow beating, and treating the customer like they are constantly in pursuit of the biggest lie or hoax on the planet!  This harkens back to the 4 and it's dropped calls...  How long did it take to get that fixed? 

My next step will be to down grade both our 5's to 4s's.  What a scam Verizon and Apple!  Shame on you both!!! 

0 Likes
woppenhe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try the Samsung. No problems there. We have 2 samsungs G3s, and one apple 5 on our plan. The issue only occurs with Apple phones. Very uncool.

0 Likes
chrisinlf

My Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD is outstanding. Data use Verizon reports matches almost exactly what the "My Data Manager" app reports. I am going to buy "My Data" app, even the free version works really well.

My RAZR is on the same Data plan as my wife's iPhone 5. I am the "power user". My wife doesn't know how to tether or anything like that.  In the good old days before this i Phone 5 became a blood sucking leach on my data plan,  I used my RAZR to tether, stream, have dozens of apps (none leak data) and never even came close to data limit. I even reduced my additional 6GB down to 4GB cause it was unnecessary.

Now I am almost afraid to use my data cause the iPhone 5 is burning through it.

How many thousands or 10's of thousands of  people using iPhone 5 with massive data consumption are paying Verizon for all this "Ghost" data.

This issue and the way Verizon is treating their customers is just screaming Class Action Lawsuit...

>> edited to remove profanity and inappropriate comment; please keep it family-friendly to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
elydoug
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is not just a iPhone 5 problem. I have a 4 and in the last two months, I have been "optimized" by Verizon for excessive use of my unlimited plan??? Apparently, I used 3.5GB last billing period and I am now being slowed down until the next billing cycle. As a result, I have been watching my data use closely and was 2 days away from my billing cycle when I saw my phone UPLOAD almost 850MB of data in a 6 hour period. I called tech and they did find that Dropbox had been trying to unsuccessfully  upload a photo, but that did not explain the 3.5GB last month. Also, 850 MB in 6 hours is practically impossible. Just from reading these posts, and my own experience, there is a problem here that needs to be solved without suggesting that we are all just using much, much, much more data than we used to. Seriously, tripling my data use in 1 month? I don't think that is something I am doing differently.

0 Likes
woppenhe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is that the Verizon folks do not seem to think this is a problem. They look at it mostly as an enhanced profit opportunity. It is time to figure out another solution, which means another company or a better phone with better software.

0 Likes
ajleemax800

Funny today july 10 I had a same experience with Big V tec support...

They  Must have a known Bug that some thing changed Recently on their system that is causing the data to spike...

1.3 gig  a month for almost a year then 6 gb in 30 days...

I have seen some emails get hung up in the out box...

It may be the new Revenue optimizing Patch they released  to address their Stock Value.. LOL

ATT I may be coming Home....

the 5 will work on their system as well

0 Likes