iPhone 5 thought...
Kirin
Enthusiast - Level 3
OK, so my cousin works for Sprint and he was telling me how awsome it will be now that the iPhone will be on the Yellow network. He was sure that it will be 4G and international, he is not 100% at the moment as the release date was told to be this fall and that's all he knows... my question is, "Will this cause a mass exodus from Big Red to turn Yellow?" My coz has also been telling me how poor the service has gotten lately from all of the already innundated towers. IMO, the iPhone on Sprint is just going to make their 'unlimited' packages tiered like everyone else.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 5 thought...
AZSALUKI
Legend

it didn't cause a "mass exodus" from at&t to verizon (and service with at&t was a much bigger issue than with verizon), when verizon got it......and i doubt it will happen this time either. most people that may make the switch, will at least wait until their contract is up. with android's popularity and all 3 major carriers having the iphone, i don't think iphone will significantly affect any of the carriers any more. it was different when they wer only with at&t. they kept a company with poor service competitive long enough to improve their network.....but with all three carriers providing it, it will be just another choice of phones. i'm sure some will switch as sprint has the cheapest "everything" plan.....but their "4g" isn't LTE and truly tests at about 3mbps, whereas verizons 4g (LTE) devices consistently test at 15-20mbps. also, the only people REALLY worried about the data caps are very heavy users. most heavy users already have an unlimited data plan (grandfathered in on verizon or at&t). your average new smartphone buyer is not going to use more than 2 gigs/month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it didn't cause a "mass exodus" from at&t to verizon (and service with at&t was a much bigger issue than with verizon), when verizon got it......and i doubt it will happen this time either. most people that may make the switch, will at least wait until their contract is up. with android's popularity and all 3 major carriers having the iphone, i don't think iphone will significantly affect any of the carriers any more. it was different when they wer only with at&t. they kept a company with poor service competitive long enough to improve their network.....but with all three carriers providing it, it will be just another choice of phones. i'm sure some will switch as sprint has the cheapest "everything" plan.....but their "4g" isn't LTE and truly tests at about 3mbps, whereas verizons 4g (LTE) devices consistently test at 15-20mbps. also, the only people REALLY worried about the data caps are very heavy users. most heavy users already have an unlimited data plan (grandfathered in on verizon or at&t). your average new smartphone buyer is not going to use more than 2 gigs/month.

0 Likes
iPhoneUser2011
0 Likes
Af1
All I want to know is how bad is Verizon going to put me through the ringer when the iPhone 5 comes out ? I am a first time iPhone user and love it ! I've had the phone from day one of the Verizon release date , so I almost have to have it ! I waited almost seven months for the iPhone (upgrade) I don't think I can wait !?!? I wonder if they will allow you to trade in you 4 towards a 5 ?!? Thoughts .....
0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

i'm sure you can trade in your iphone4 for some kind of money, but if you don't have an upgrade good luck getting one cheap.

In other news, sprint has 4g..rofl.. I think my 3g device is faster

0 Likes
Af1
Yeah I am sure they are going to take me to the cleaners ! AT&T let customers trade in their old phone and they didn't have to do another 2 yr contract which I wouldn't mind anything to keep the price down ! I just want anything to soften the blow !
0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

Af1 wrote:
Yeah I am sure they are going to take me to the cleaners ! AT&T let customers trade in their old phone and they didn't have to do another 2 yr contract which I wouldn't mind anything to keep the price down ! I just want anything to soften the blow !

thats because ATT has barely any other cell phones on their line untill rather recentlly (like since feb of this year) been getting better and better phones.

0 Likes
tmeyers23

When I upgraded from a iphone 3g to an iphone 4, I had to sign a brand new 2yr contract even though I was upgrading after only a year of owning a 3g with at&t

I thought everyone had to sign a new contract?

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

tmeyers23 wrote:

When I upgraded from a iphone 3g to an iphone 4, I had to sign a brand new 2yr contract even though I was upgrading after only a year of owning a 3g with at&t

I thought everyone had to sign a new contract?

They're talking about going from an iPhone 3g with AT&T to an iPhone 4 with AT&T, not with Verizon.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

So did I (an AT&T customer).  I also didn't hear that AT&T was doing trade-ins for the iPhone 4.  I heard that Radio Shack was, however, but didn't want to take advantage of that.

0 Likes