Re: iPhone 5 without losing unlimited data and without paying Retail?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Sell your 4s and use the proceeds to offset the full retail. There is no way around this unless you know someone with an upgrade that doesn't have or need unlimited data and wouldn't mind letting you use it  to get the iPhone 5. Or buying off of someone else...but you will still pay far more than you apparently want to. All of us that are unlimited data plan users are in the same boat. You decide what is most important to you (in my case, keeping my unlimited) and then go from there. If I decide to buy the iPhone 5 or any other new device I know my plan is to pay full retail...I accepted this when they announced the Share Everything plans and what would happen to unlimited data plan holders.

fayemegan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought you could upgrade a different line and just add the phone to your phone number

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

To keep my unlimited I would upgrade a basic phone (eligible for upgrade) to the 5, switch it to my line replacing the 4S, give the 4S to my wife replacing her basic phone. The only addition to my $120 would be $30 data plan that would give my wife 2GB per month. Thus $150.

So if I pay $150 I maintain my unlimited and my wife gets 2GB.

If I go for the shared plan my wife and I can share 6GB for $120.

Which way to go?

0 Likes
Yujin
Enthusiast - Level 1

i was told by a verizon rep that if you have a 3g unlimited then bring a 4g devices to the line (even if you pay full price) you lose the unlimited option. so going from 3g to 4g messes up the plan? i dont trust the guy who told me this as he is a liar (been to the store and he lies on features to get a sale). Anyone has any info?

0 Likes
Darthgamer138
Enthusiast - Level 1
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

I went from a 3G to a 4G (Galaxy Nexus) and back to a 3G (4S) with no problem keeping my unlimited.

0 Likes
JamsTots

I am not sure how relevant this is to anyone, but my boyfriend just talked to Verizon. They said that because he was a previous Alltel customer (bought out by Verizon), he could keep his unlimited data, while getting the discounted price. I am pissed! I was part of Midwest Wireless (also bought out by Verizon) and it appears that I lose my unlimited data. ****ers!

0 Likes
SanDiego-Ca
Enthusiast - Level 1

After many discussions with Verizon I have found that there are only a few ways to actually keep your unlimited plan, and this wont apply to a lot of people here.

We have a business account but I'm sure it doesn't matter.....you can pay full price for the iphone5 and keep your unlimited plan. However, if you have an extra line on your account that is not a smart phone and is due an upgrade, you can order the iphone5 (Upgrade price) for that line (But do not activate it on that line, activate it on the line you want) and this will avoid having to upgrade your account to All In.

Eventually Verizon will do away with all unlimited data plans, but this will buy some time.

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

JamsTots wrote:

I am not sure how relevant this is to anyone, but my boyfriend just talked to Verizon. They said that because he was a previous Alltel customer (bought out by Verizon), he could keep his unlimited data, while getting the discounted price. I am ******! I was part of Midwest Wireless (also bought out by Verizon) and it appears that I lose my unlimited data. ****ers!

Still on an Alltel plan so that'd be awesome!  Won't hold my breath though.  

0 Likes
Q357
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in the same boat called sales, debated with the salesman politely, and he hung up on me....., called tech support the guy was nice but said the same thing he was trying to talk me into the share everything, but my phone died.

Here is my problem, I don't use 2gigs but I like the comfort of knowing I'm unlimited, I like not having to check and see how much I've used. I just want to keep the plan I have and get the upgrade at the discounted price that is due to me, they keep telling me that it will save me money, well I don't want it, I want what I'm use to which is part of the reason I stayed with verizon for so long, if I got to do this I minus well go with anyone then. look, if they saving me money then its costing them money, but yet in still they won't let me stay with the plan that apparently since I never go over 2gigs is lining their pocket with doe, there has to be some kind of catch to this, why do they want me on this other plan so badly. I think this whole thing is a ploy to get rid of the remaining grandfathered unlimited data, Keep your phone till its out of date, or lose your unlimited data, Oh or you can pay 600+ everytime you want an upgrade even if you never use 2 gigs of data. Something fishy is going on here. They say its aimed towards the 5% who abuse the unlimited data. My thing is so now people like myself who don't use alot but like the peace of mind, us 95% are forced into this policy not even aimed at us, well its me who has to change its me who has pay full retail for my upgrades, its me who's only other option is some stupid share everything plan. How do I know something isn't coming down the line that they know about where I'm going to be wishing I had my unlimited plan?  The sales reps told me straight up I see where this makes no sense for you, but the 5% out there who use so much data. I do not care about everyone else who I never met or never will, just my current unfair situation, they told me their policy wasn't annouced, I told them I know it feels like an ambush. it feels like fraud.