iPhone 5 won't turn on what are my options/can I fix this problem?
AshCap

Hello,

I've had my iPhone 5 since September 2012.  In the last 60 days it suddenly started shutting down on its own but would come back on too.  Then one day it stopped coming back on; upon searching the Internet I found that if I pushed both the off/on button on the top and the round button on the front at the same time for about 15 seconds the phone would come back on, this worked sometimes not unless I had the phone on the charger plugged in the wall or with the usb.  I have tried restoring the phone and I tried removing apps so that it would stop but that was no help.  Today it stopped all together, nothing seems to help.   When I use the charger with wall socket nothing and with usb to iTunes it says that "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes"  click "ok" and then "restore iPhone" then the standard question asking if I was sure and that it would restore to factory settings and that after I will have the option to restore all my info. I choose "restore and update" "extracting software" pops up and the progression bar moves across my iPhone lights up with the apple logo and an progression bar iTunes sits at a progression screen stating "waiting for phone" on the screen "iPhone Recovery Mode" showing "iTunes is restoring the software on this iPhone" but I've waiting 45 minutes at one point tonight.  I don't know what else I can do.  I've search online messages boards and YouTube videos for answers but I'm stuck. There has to be a way I can reset/reboot and get my phone to turn on so I can try to restart from my settings from the phone menu.  Does anyone have a solution or options?   Verizon can you help?

Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 won't turn on what are my options/can I fix this problem?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello AshCap!

Wow, you've definitely been through a lot here not only when it comes to the issues your iPhone 5 has been experiencing but also with the very commendable troubleshooting you've taken on. So, let's talk solutions.

Now, a power cycling phone is definitely something that needs to be addressed likely with a reset. Though that didn't work and now we're stuck with it simply not turning on after you ran the proper recovery via iTunes, we may need to look at replacement options. Before we discuss that, may I ask if in between the time you've sent this and now if recovery mode started back up again for completion? If not, I've begun following you. Please accept my follow, follow back, and shoot a direct message my way including your mobile number and billing password (or last four of your social security number if a password isn't present) so we can research options. Thanks for your time!

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 won't turn on what are my options/can I fix this problem?
kmseattle

I put my iPhone in sleep mode,set it down and could not get it to come on.  Verizon customer service went through all the usual steps with me with no success and then suggested leaving it plugged in for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  If it still did not come on then it would have to go through the DFU (?) process.  I left it plugged in over night and it came back on after 12 - 13 hours.  Had I listened to Verizon customer service I'd have lost everything. Verizon gave me the exact same advice for my old Blackberry and i ended up buying the iPhone because I thought it was dead.  I inadvertently left it plugged in and found that it had come back on overnight. So thought to try the same thing this time. Someone needs to update the information you give out.  The tech I talked with this morning indicated there is no mechanism to spread the word.  How many customers have lost all their data when all they needed to do was let it charge for 12 or more hours?  KMSeattle

0 Likes