iPhone 5c Data Usage Issue - Possible Fix
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem as everyone else with my daughter's iPhone 5c using 9 GB of data in a month with normal usage.

We were able to fix this and get her data usage back down to 2 GB like the rest of us....

1) Apple released a fix for the iPhone to fix using Data vs. WiFi.

Check for phone UPDATES and make sure that it is Up-To-Date.

2) Verizon changed the Backup Plus (2GB) to Verizon Cloud backup with 25GB free.

Make sure that you configure for the Cloud storage.

Most of the data usage that I was seeing was a bulk at a time which indicated a sync.

This could be storage syncing to iCloud (2GB Free) or to Verizon Backup (moving to cloud fixes this)

iCloud users may need to buy more storage or delete old backup especially if you upgraded from another iPhone.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Sorry that I am not an expert and use an Android Phone.

(Use for home/work/nav. and only use 1.5 GB per month)

Apple was the leader in TECH, but lately they lead in $$$ and data usage....

Good Luck.

Labels (2)
Re: iPhone 5c Data Usage Issue - Possible Fix
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

FYI - There is a good "Free" data app "My Data Manager"

You can set this for a Monthly and Daily usage alerts.

This is great to set the Daily Alert to 50 or 75 MB and have it Alert and TURN OFF Mobile Data.

It will post s red flag and give you the option to turn Mobile data back on again.

This will kill the sync from using all your data up.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

This is some possible good news. As soon as my wife gets home from work with her iPhone 5c, I will try this on her phone. Thank you for sharing this with us.

0 Likes
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

Is it safe to say that I can find this app in the iTune Store??

0 Likes
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes...

"My Data Manager" is available for Android on Play and iPhone on ITunes Store.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you for your earlier reply. I did try looking for the update released by Apple, for the iPhone, to fix the "using Data vs Wi-Fi" issue, on my wife's iPhone 5c. But I did not really call myself finding it. Maybe I did it wrong or something. So is there someway, that I can check for sure, to see if my wife's phone has gotten the required update??

0 Likes
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

Check under settings "About Phone".

You should make sure that you have this version or higher:

Verizon 13.1

Hope that helps.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you for your reply. I will look for that on her phone, when she gets home today.

0 Likes
Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can always contact Verizon Support for assistance.

Just don't call from the iPhone that you are checking.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

1. I am sorry to bother you again, but I still need your input. On 13 Nov you told me that I should check under the settings "About Phone", to see if my wife's iPhone 5c has "Verizon 13.1" version or higher. Well I called myself trying to do so. However, I was not able to find the "Verizon 13.1" version or higher, in any of the settings under "About Phone".

2. So can you explain further about what exactly I am looking for?? And if my wife's phone does not have this update from Apple, how can I go about getting it?? You also advised me that I can always contact Verizon Support for assistance. But I should not call from the iPhone, that I am checking. In which case, I did this, but no one else seems to knows anything about this update from Apple.

0 Likes