imessage turned off, still not getting texts as SMS
maroon2472

I have an iPhone 5. When I turn iMessage off, I am not getting SMS messages from any iPhone users. (I do this from time to time b/c I have my younger sister on my Apple account and when we both have iMessage on, we end up getting each other's messages. I've been told by Apple that taking her off of my Apple account and getting her own ID is a pain and she will lose all of her songs she has on my account. Any advice contradicting this would be great!).

I have my phone set to 'send as SMS' when iMessage is unavailable. I've powered off and back on. I've signed out of Apple ID per instructions I found online and that did not help either.  The last customer service I call I made to Verizon advised me not to use iMessage at all because it's not using "Verizon's server". If I didn't use iMessage, I wouldn't get 90% of my texts. Very frustrated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: imessage turned off, still not getting texts as SMS
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, what Apple said is not technically true. If you both sync your iPhones initially on the same computer, you can have ALL of the songs on that computer on multiple Apple ID accounts. We have at times had 4 separate Apple ID's access all of the songs on our computer. Of course, if she purchases any songs via iTunes on her phone, those songs would not be available to you or on the computer until she actually synced back to the computer. Same would go for any songs you purchase in the same manner.

Try texting the word "stop" from your iPhone to 48369. You should receive a reply that you are unsubscribed from iMessage. Of course the other iPhone users would have to have the option checked to send as SMS if iMessage is unavailable. If you STILL don't receive SMS messages from other iPhone users, it could be because your Apple ID is still active on another iPhone.

0 Likes
maroon2472

Thank you! I'm going to ask Apple again about the accounts. I can't imagine we would just lose the music. Although they are all purchased from iTunes. I'm not too tech savvy with iTunes. I don't use it. I think the ultimate solution is getting her own Apple ID, but either way I shouldn't have to miss out on text messages when I have the option of receiving them as SMS. Is this a Verizon issue or my iPhone?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

maroon2472 wrote:

Is this a Verizon issue or my iPhone?

It is an Apple issue. If other iPhones think you are still an iPhone subscribed to iMessage, they will attempt to send the text as an iMessage. If you have iMessage turned off on your iPhone, then you will simply not get the message, however your sister may get it if she is logged in under your Apple ID.

The best bet may be to simply disable iMessage on both iPhones and strictly send/receive SMS messages. Turn off iMessage on your phones and text the word "stop" to 48369 to unsubscribe. Then just leave iMessage disabled. I personally think it is silly for Apple to move away from an industry standard and cause former iPhone users such grief if/when they either move away from iPhones or choose to not use iMessage.

0 Likes
maroon2472

Ok, thanks for the help. I always have her keep iMessage off on her phone. However, she uses an iPod too, so it could be "on" on her iPod.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

maroon2472, We surely don;t want you to miss out on text messages. Are you not able to receive all text messages? Is your I message turned off?

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
maroon2472

When Imessage is off, as described in the post, I do not get any messages at all from iPhone users.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you rarely use iTunes, why not just get your own Apple ID separate from the other account - you could continue to use iMessage with THAT Apple ID. 

0 Likes
maroon2472

That is what I'd love to do and planned to do as the next step. Apple had told me that this was a 'pain' and that we would lose all of the music (for the new account). I'd like to keep the original account because it is mine and I'm the primary person on acct/bill payer/etc. My sister is the one who would want the music and need the new ID. My major concerns (as I'm not tech savvy and last time I called Apple it was a long phone call):

1.Do I need to call Apple to set up the new account? Or am I able to do this right online?

2.Can I easily set her up with her new Apple ID and have her get onto iTunes and download her songs again?

3. Once set up with new Apple ID, her phone number will no longer show up on my IPhone as associated with my account, correct?

Thanks!!

0 Likes