international billing
jvick100

I am going to Spain in a week and am unfamiliar with Verizon's international billing policies. I would like to use my phone without a lengthy bill when I return to America, but I have some clarification questions. First, can i receive and send messages WHILE connected to wifi in Spain, free of charge? Will these messages be Imessage (assuming I am talking to a person with an iphone also) or SMS texts? Can I access data and the internet free of charge while in wifi? Lastly, do I need to keep my phone on airplane mode at all times outside of wifi to avoid receiving messages and consequently being billed?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: international billing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jvick100- Sounds like you will be on an amazing trip! I would be more than happy to ensure you can stay connected while in Spain. I can confirm that iMessage and other data services will work on WiFi without costing extra. Airplane Mode may not allow the WiFi connection so your better option is to go to Settings>Cellular>Set Mobile Data to off. Also visit http://www.vzw.com/tripplanner to review your roaming options for cellular voice, text and data if needed.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jvick100- Sounds like you will be on an amazing trip! I would be more than happy to ensure you can stay connected while in Spain. I can confirm that iMessage and other data services will work on WiFi without costing extra. Airplane Mode may not allow the WiFi connection so your better option is to go to Settings>Cellular>Set Mobile Data to off. Also visit http://www.vzw.com/tripplanner to review your roaming options for cellular voice, text and data if needed.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
LouiseW

Cool! I'm going to London and Paris in a few days. So, you're saying that if they have WiFi in London or Paris, I can use it at no extra charge. What about phone calls? And texting?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep the phone in Airplane mode and then turn on wifi on your phone as needed to access local wifi hotspots.

If you have airplane mode off, you could potentially have roaming charges for voice, texts or cellular data since the phone would be roaming on a foreign carrier.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes