iphone 5 activated with unlimited data
domino531

After a few days of going through a lot of pain and suffering, I was finally able to activate my iphone 5 while keeping my unlimited data last night.  I talked to numerous people at customer support and I got different answers from many of them.  I was even told at one point in a store that what I was trying to do was fraud.  But if anyone needs any help or has any questions with it I will try to help.  These discussions helped me find out about it and get it done so I am thankful to everyone on here that has helped with it and I will try to return the favor to help others in need. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 5 activated with unlimited data
rusavvy

I just purchase two online last night for my mom and myself.  We used other family members' upgrades who have basic flip phones with no data.  When I receive the phones, I wait to turn them on until I contact customer service, correct?  I want to make sure I do it the right way. 

We are currently on the family plan and the phones with data have unlimited data, and we would like to keep it that way.  I had to pay $100 for the family share plan when I purchased the two iPhone 5, does that sound right?  I selected the 2gb since that was the lowest option.

0 Likes
domino531

Do not turn them on when you get them.  You need to contact customer service and talk to them.  Tell them that you want to have them activated on the two flip phones first and then you want to call back *228 to reactivate the flip phones.  Then you can call customer service and they can turn the iphones on to the lines with unlimited data.  The two flip phones will be the ones with the 2 year contract extended.  Make sure the person on the line checks that you will keep your unlimited data in the system before you turn the phones on.  I never had to upgrade to a family share plan they were going to put me on the 2GB plan but after doing this I kept the unlimited. 

0 Likes
nnk_rn

Ok I need some help with this as well. I currently have a Five Spot for internet and a blackberry (i know....I cant wait to burn it). I am using my upgrade on my five spot to get the iphone. My blackberry plan is under the old unlimited data plan which is a plan i'd like to keep. Is there any way you think i'd be able to keep it or are they going to make me upgrade my plan?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

upgrade your 5 spot to the iPhone 5, and activate it to accept the new contract. 

Change the phone to your current line with unlimited data. 

You will keep unlimited. 

DO NOT transfer the upgrade as it will force you to pick a data plan other than unlimited.

0 Likes
domino531

yeah you should be able to do it the same way like tidbits said and do not do the transfer.  Upgrade the 5 spot and make sure you activate it on that phone.  Then deactivate by reactivating the 5 spot and after the 24 hours for the sim reset call customer service to put the iphone 5 on the line with unlimited data.  Again I would make sure that the rep you are talking to checks to see that the system goes through and it still shows unlimited.  I asked my rep at least 3 times if it was a guarantee that I would be keeping the unlimited data just because I had been getting so many different answers from different people. 

0 Likes
VegasHawkeye

I am eligible for the upgrade in November... please tell me the steps that you took to maintain your unlimited data.

Thanks!

0 Likes
tduval75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a question.  My wife's phone was eligible for an upgrade.  So she purchased the iphone 5 from Apple using her upgrade and had to select the 2GB plan.

Now, the phone arrived today.  I'd like to keep her unlimited data plan (she currently has unlimited on an iphone 4).  Can I call Customer Service and have them switch the iphone 5 to a spare line (we have two lines that have basic phones).  Let it activate on one of those then turn around and transfer the phone back to my wife's number?

I wasn't sure about this method because she used her upgrade and I was a little unclear on how that works if you don't actually activate the phone.  I checked online and it still has her line on the current unlimited package.

Thanks

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

You will need to upgrade at full retail price to keep unlimited data .VZW DOES NOT OFFER UNLINITED DATA ANYMORE IF YOU UPGRAD WITH UPGRADE PRICING YOU WILL LOSE UNLIMITED DATA

PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT WORK FOR VZW

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

You will need to upgrade at full retail price to keep unlimited data .VZW DOES NOT OFFER UNLINITED DATA ANYMORE IF YOU UPGRAD WITH UPGRADE PRICING YOU WILL LOSE UNLIMITED DATA

If you return the iPhone 5 and get the old phone back you should be able to get the unlimited data back

PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT WORK FOR VZW

0 Likes