iphone 5S earpiece doesn't work
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I make a call I can't hear through the earpiece; neither the outgoing phone ring nor the person who picks up.  I can hear these on speaker phone and I if I plug in an earpiece; both just fine.  It is ONLY the earpiece receiver that seemingly doesn't work.  I've verified this using the memo app as well.  I've done the soft and hard resets and reset all settings and reinstalled ios.  I've done the cleaning out of the audiojack and made sure nothing is blocking the reciver, etc...I can't tell you when I first noticed this issue since the phone has not been used in a while.  Assuming this is a hardware issue what is the most likely problem that is KNOWN to cause this issue and actual fixes (for example, cable X got unplugged on the board).

thanks, pete

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 5S earpiece doesn't work
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like reconnecting the cable resulted in everything coming back in working order!  Except Touch ID if my 5S had it to begin with but I don’t really care about it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

I indicated in the subject line iPhone 5S; is there something I didn’t specify?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You originally had your question in the Basic phone space. The moderators have since moved it to a more appropriate location within the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have partial solution.  A cable was unplugged in my phone (front-facing camera and sensor) and i plugged it in.....and got not only my camera back (which I didn't know I lost) but apparently I got my ability talk to and hear someone on the other end of the phone...........I still can't hear the phone ring when I call someone though.

pete

By the way should the 5S have touch ID ability?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad your device is working a bit better. We want you to have a working device. Are you able to hear through the loud speakers? As for touch ID, here is a link to help you set this up, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-87605/. Have you, since this started, tried a Factory Reset?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes, I had tried resets, etc...will still investigate touch ID more.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This information tells me that you've taken it to the limits of troubleshooting. When the problem is still present after a factory wipe, then we'll look into replacement options. You mentioned the phone has not been used in a while. Do you have an extended warranty on it? 

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like reconnecting the cable resulted in everything coming back in working order!  Except Touch ID if my 5S had it to begin with but I don’t really care about it.

0 Likes
PETLAM68
Enthusiast - Level 2

how do I “mark solved” or close tnis post?

0 Likes