is this fraud? - Upgrade EARLY to iPhone 5c 32GB - FREE. Exclusively for you.
Maple-Bicycle

I received email as followings:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPGRADE to

iPhone 5c 32GB FREE

iPhone 5c has the things that made iPhone 5 an amazing phone—and
more, including iOS 7. All in a completely new design that feels great
in your hand.

Hurry! This special offer for your mobile number
ending in 7585 ends on 3/31/14.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is this e-mail fraud?

It does not work to get the free phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: is this fraud? - Upgrade EARLY to iPhone 5c 32GB - FREE. Exclusively for you.
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

No.  It's not fraud.  It's a legit email.  Lots of people have been getting them. 

You can see that offer on Verizon's website too.

View solution in original post

Re: is this fraud? - Upgrade EARLY to iPhone 5c 32GB - FREE. Exclusively for you.
Tidbits
Legend

I want to say yes it is only because we can't see the full email. Also Verizon doesn't allow early upgrade without exception(which this email is). Best to call Verizon and ask specifically.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

No.  It's not fraud.  It's a legit email.  Lots of people have been getting them. 

You can see that offer on Verizon's website too.

prettymami1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Duplicate post - please see:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1065063#1065063

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
ryrythtguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

No its not. I myself took advantage of this offer coming from a Samsung s4 and only had to pay 30 dollar upgrade fee. Downside is you're signing a two year contract instead of being able to take advantage of their edge program.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ryrythtguy,

I apologize for any confusion! However, there's no upgrade fee involved with the Edge Program. The upgrade fee applies only when you're getting a discount on a new phone under a new customer agreement. For more details on the Edge program, visit http://tiny.cc/1uizcx.

Edwin_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
trouble_brewing

I fully believe it to be against the law and let them know in no uncertain terms, via phone and facebook. I've filed with the FTC. I have screen shots of the multiple offers I got about this and it clearly says 'upgrade early' and 'free'. I am very disappointed with the service I received pertaining to this issue. We've been customers since Alltell and this is ridiculous.

Screenshots with private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

What exactly do you believe is "against the law"?

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

There are a few of these types of promotions out there. In general, they are sent mostly to those with basic phones in an effort to push them to become smartphone users.   My wife got one of these last fall.

0 Likes
trouble_brewing

I believe it is called bait and switch. When they offer me a service (free upgrade early as advertised) and then when I attempt to accept their offer, hand me a bill for $600+. I was willing to extend my contract another two years. We've been with them since they were Alltel.

0 Likes