Re: is this fraud? - Upgrade EARLY to iPhone 5c 32GB - FREE. Exclusively for you.
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The phone is free (as long as you meet whatever requirements are listed).  Lots of other people have gotten the phone under this promotion.  CALL to order it rather than doing it online. You will, however, have to pay the $30 upgrade fee the same as everyone else who purchases a phone at a subsidized price.

I've been with them since Alltel, too.  Big deal.

0 Likes
Re: is this fraud? - Upgrade EARLY to iPhone 5c 32GB - FREE. Exclusively for you.
Tidbits
Legend

Bait and switch only happens when they sold you an item and gave you something different.

Like offer a free iPhone with 2 year, but send you a moto X. That would be a bait and switch.

You won't get the deal if you are not upgrade eligible. Just because you got the email doesn't make you eligible.

0 Likes
trouble_brewing

Actually the email specifically said it was for my line, it said EARLY. There is no small print. 2 yr contract, offer ends 3/31. The end. So explain again how it wasn't for me? It is bait and switch, they said 'here you go, free phone, early upgrade.' Then when I tried to use the offer they sent to me (three times) they said 'no no sorry small print.' Except there is none. Nothing about eligibility. Even if you go through the entire email and read the print there,

"IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION: Subject to Cust Agmt & Calling Plan. $30 Upgrade fee applies. Up to $350 early termination fee. $15/200MB after allowance. Offers &coverage, varying by svc, not available everywhere; see vzw.com. While supplies last. Limited-time offers. Restocking fee may apply. In CA: Sales tax based on full retail price of phone. In MA: Sales tax based on Verizon Wireless' cost of a device purchased at a discount with service. See verizonwireless.com/bestnetwork for details."

It still doesn't say anything about eligibility. I have an agreement with them, and my plan includes data. Why send me  an email inviting me to upgrade early and then not give me what they said. That is bait and switch. It wasn't a generic, 'here we have a special for those eligible'. It was ME, my number included, 'this is for you, early'. If they made a mistake sending them out to people who are ineligible then they need to come out and say that. They need to make a gesture. Cause right now all I'm getting is 'too bad, so sad'. And then people on the net, cause they are so reliable, telling me that I'm in the wrong for expecting the company to follow through on it's promo.

And I did call in to order it, they said 'no dice'. There are no specifications as to who is eligible. $30 bucks, big deal, compared to buying a $600+ phone. Like I said, I was there ready and willing to upgrade, pay my $30 and add two years. They said no.

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Then take the phone back if it is still within your 14 day return period

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It doesn't need small print.  I bet there's a link that says click here for details.  Upgrade early could mean anything within 6 months not post 6 months left on the contract.

0 Likes
tirediron
Enthusiast - Level 1

Only happens when...Absolutely untrue, there are many variants and Verizon policy condones it and sales and "support" execute it.  I will find a  ethically carrier that values my business and offers real support not obfuscation to defend the practice.. read the posts. Is everyone wrong? Might want to expand your understanding of bait and switch by looking it up. Wikipedia for example, "The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin"

0 Likes
rivrlivr

I received the same offer and ordered the phone online due to them being out of stock in the store.  (Suggested by sales person in the store to do this).  I got my bill today and yep... charged 273.00 for  the  FREE phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello rivrlivr!

I'm sorry for any inconvenience with the iPhone 5c. I can definitely look into this for you. I have followed you in the forums. Please accept me and follow me back, then send a Direct Message to me. I will be happy to address this for you.

Thanks,

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tirediron
Enthusiast - Level 1

My situation was different!     on 3/30 I tried to order the Free 5c online but could never find the "Free" upgrade my cart showed $199 so I called and in a conversation I felt certain I had placed my order before the 3/31 deadline. I also incidentally changed my plan to accomodate the iPhone I thought I had ordered. I saw on the web site that they were back ordered so I did not question not receiving shipping info. When I called to question the delayed shipping I was told the could not find my order, just the plan change. I was told that the offer had expired. I gave them the time of my call and that it was coincident with the "plan change". I asked them to find my conversation to confirm I had placed the order. I asked to speak with a supervisor and did so. She said I had only called to change plans. Totally untrue. She said that she was in NY{?} and had not personally listened to the call but someone had done so. I had no need to change my plan except to accomodate my Free 5c upgrade. I cannot believe that my telcon could be so greatly misinterpreted. I left the phone convinced I had ordered the phone AND changed my plan. I felt that my call would result in a finding that the Verizon rep or the system was at fault and they would honor my order. No luck, I concluded that the "Free" uprade was a variant of bait and switch tactic and that resulted in my timely order not being honored. I'm guessing that it was perhaps just operator error but policy denied it was Verizon and my order was conveniently not honored and I was offered the 5c upgrade for $99. That to me constituted "bait & switch" albeit somewhat convoluted. Until then I had been a long time Verizon customer. The handling of my complaint seemed evidence my business was not valued so I am shopping for an alternative provider.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are still a valued customer, tirediron. I certainly want to make sure you stay part of our wireless family with a great phone. I have sent you a follow request here in the forum. Please access https://community.verizonwireless.com/actions to accept my request and follow me https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/jenniferh_vzw back so you can send me a private message https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 with your name so we can get started looking into your upgrade.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes