Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loud clicking iPhone 5 home button (driving me crazy!)
Sheryl84

I got my iPhone 12/25/12, so its only about 7 months old. Its always been well protected (first 6 months was in an otterbox, and now i use a lifeproof case) and its never gotten wet or dirty. Anyway now suddenly the home button is making a horrible clicking noise every time i press it and it also seems to have a little resistance (like its harder to press down). At first I thought it could maybe be the case, but that's definitely not it because i took it out and it still makes the clicking noise. Its driving me crazy! I played with it for a few minutes while it was out of the case and held it pressed down for a while and it stopped making the clicking noise (that lasted like 5 minutes). Could it be dirty? I cant imagine how it got dirty, but is there somehow I can fix this? Somehow I can maybe clean it without damaging the phone? Please help its really annoying.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: loud clicking iPhone 5 home button (driving me crazy!)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That's certainly odd, Sheryl84! I'm also a proud owner of iPhone 5. There is clicking noise when pressing down on the home button. That's pretty normal.

I do know from personal experience. The home button does attract food particles as its the best/ easiest way to navigate the phone at times.

There isn't a way to clean the home button but I do suggest a hands on with the device to better determine the clicking noise from the device.

There is also an accessibility option that you change so that you don't have to press the home button. Settings> General > Accessibility> Assistive Touch > On

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: loud clicking iPhone 5 home button (driving me crazy!)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That's certainly odd, Sheryl84! I'm also a proud owner of iPhone 5. There is clicking noise when pressing down on the home button. That's pretty normal.

I do know from personal experience. The home button does attract food particles as its the best/ easiest way to navigate the phone at times.

There isn't a way to clean the home button but I do suggest a hands on with the device to better determine the clicking noise from the device.

There is also an accessibility option that you change so that you don't have to press the home button. Settings> General > Accessibility> Assistive Touch > On

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes