new iphone 5s not detecting any wifi networks
newiphoneuser2013
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a new iPhone user so forgive me if the answer to this problem is obvious, but my new 5s seems to be having an issue connecting to any wifi networks, including my home network.  When I go to wifi settings under "choose a network" there are no networks showing up and yet I know that there are definitely networks available (my home one included).  There is also a loading icon next to the words "choose a network" that just continually spins and spins as if it is scanning and trying to find a network, but none have ever come up yet.  Is this a problem with my iPhone?  Is it my wifi router?  My wifi has not been having any other issues - I'm using the connection right now on my laptop, and it worked fine with my previous phone (android).  Appreciate any suggestions/help.  Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new iphone 5s not detecting any wifi networks
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 5s "seeing" or connecting to any WiFi networks.

Things to try:
Hard reset the phone by holding the power button (at the top) and the Home button at the same time until the device resets.

Reset the router.

Change the channel that the router is using.

Make sure that the SSID is broadcasting.

Go to a known public WiFi (McDonald's, Starbucks, Panera, etc) and see if the phone picks up the WiFi network.

View solution in original post

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 5s "seeing" or connecting to any WiFi networks.

Things to try:
Hard reset the phone by holding the power button (at the top) and the Home button at the same time until the device resets.

Reset the router.

Change the channel that the router is using.

Make sure that the SSID is broadcasting.

Go to a known public WiFi (McDonald's, Starbucks, Panera, etc) and see if the phone picks up the WiFi network.

Not applicable

http://www.apple.com look in the support community for your answer.

You could turn your iPhone off then recycle the broadband modem and then your wireless router. Turn the modem back on first, then the router and then your wireless phone.

See if your iPhone finds your home network.

Other posters state you must turn off cellular data and it connects, or turn airplane mode off and then back on.

However you should not have this issue. My iPhone 5s finds my networks and connects perfect. It connects and finds other networks as well with no hoop jumping. If in doubt have an Apple Store look at it or repair it. Don't let verizon touch it or replace under their manufacturers warranty. Use apple.

Good Luck

newiphoneuser2013
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you both!   All it took was a reboot of the phone...doh!  Sadly, I didn't even know how to turn it off before so your suggestions were very helpful.  Now I'm all connected.   

0 Likes
Not applicable

Very glad it worked out.

0 Likes