"Extended" since iOS 8 Update
atbaker

Like many others, my phone has shown "Extended" instead of "Verizon" since the first iOS 8.1 update.  I had hoped that this issue would be resolved with either an iOS update or a carrier settings update, but it has been over 5 months...  Is there anything I can do to help resolve this issue, or should I just be patient and continue waiting for an iOS/carrier settings update?

iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage | Apple Support Communities

The discussion linked above has 39,173 views and 119 replies as I type this post.  The original poster posted his discussion on Oct 20, 2014, and as of Mar 27, 2015, still has not resolved the issue.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Extended" since iOS 8 Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand how this would make you have questions, lmelcount.
We have lifted up concerns for our customer who have an old Alltel service plan.
It has been confirmed that this is working correctly. Customer on Alltel Plans will see "Extended" in the service banner area of the device. This will be corrected if and when you change to a Verizon Wireless plan.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not sure what the answer is since the iOS update didn't cause this issue for me or anyone I know. I wish there was an answer why some are having issues and others aren't at all. Other than the usual troubleshooting tips there doesn't seem to be anything you can do until a new update comes out and hope that resolves the issues. If you haven't contacted Apple directly to see if they can offer assistance then you should definitely do that. If you have an Apple Store nearby that's even better.

0 Likes
atbaker

The common denominator identified in the discussion I linked to is that the issue only affects customers who are former customers of Alltel.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If that is the case I would imagine it's an account issue that Verizon needs to fix on their end. An iOS update wouldn't address that.

0 Likes
atbaker

Lengthy conversations with VZW technicians and Apple technicians have been detailed in the discussion linked above, yet the only suggestion seems to be to try switching from a grandfathered Alltel plan to a Verizon plan, or upgrade to an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.  To me, that sounds like treating the symptom, not solving the problem.  Some customers have gone as far as filing a complaint with the FCC.  My hope is that with enough squeaky wheels, we'll eventually get the grease, or perhaps there's something that I'm missing, and it will be a simple fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
atbaker,

We want to make sure your phone works the way you need it to. I certainly understand your concern over seeing this difference on the phone. This is something we've seen with the newer versions of iOS for customers who are still on an Alltel plan. Switching to a Verizon Wireless plan would change that. We are continuing to look at other options to update that but if your plan is meeting your needs there's certainly no need to make any change. While the network indicator may look different, this has no effect on service or service level.

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
lmlecount

I have also been having this same problem as well, and I am on an Alltel friends and family plan. I currently have an Iphone 5S, and I was able to replicate this same problem on an Iphone 5 as well (so it's not the phone hardware that's causing this). My 5S was in repair for a broken screen, and I used a friends (unactivated) Iphone 5 as a loaner. I factory reset the 5, and transferred my SIM card from the 5S, activated and setup the phone, and still got "Extended" showing on the 5 and horrible battery life too.

While it may not have any effect on service, it certainly has a major effect on battery life! I have taken all the battery saving tips out there and used them, and I'm still at or below 20% at the end of each day with below average usage time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand how this would make you have questions, lmelcount.
We have lifted up concerns for our customer who have an old Alltel service plan.
It has been confirmed that this is working correctly. Customer on Alltel Plans will see "Extended" in the service banner area of the device. This will be corrected if and when you change to a Verizon Wireless plan.

TamaraH_VZW
0 Likes
lmlecount

An update on this issue. My phone prompted me this morning that a carrier settings update was available. I allowed it to update, and "Extended" is no longer showing. It's back to showing "Verizon" like it should. My battery life has also improved noticeably. No need to change to a new verizon plan!

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I made one of the original posts on this forum about the issue. After MONTHS of verizon and apple passing the buck, it's FINALLY fixed, though not through either of their help, but by coincidence.

Seeing the post from 3 days ago about a carrier update, I went to settings, then general, then about. Next to cellular, it said extended. Tap that, and a notification will prompt you to download a carrier update. BOOM back on verizon.

FYI I have an iPhone 5c with iOS 8.3. I had terrible battery life on extended... Hoping this fixes it. Unfortunately my battery percentage has gone down 3 percent while writing this. Maybe it will adjust? Or maybe Verizon's incompetence has resulted in a ruined phone? terrible all around no matter what