"New" iPhone 5s
PennState22

We just ordered and received a "new" iPhone 5s directly from Verizon. Upon activation and retrieving backup from iCloud, it asked to enter the password for someone else's email account! I called Verizon and they said phones returned within 1 or 2 days are considered new!

Offered me the hassle of returning the phone and "hoping" you don't get a used one again. I am disgusted with this practice.

Has this happened to anyone else (knowingly)?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "New" iPhone 5s
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PennState22,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about this happening. I can assure you that this is definitely not the standard process. Any device that has been previously opened is no longer considered new and can only be sold as a certified pre owned device. If the device is unopended and returned within 14 days then it can still be sold as new. What was the store location you went to? Check here to make sure that it was a corporate store vzw.com/storelocator. I am concerned that this was told to you so please keep us updated.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Has not personally happened to me, but when I purchase something as new. I will insist it is not new used. One or two days returned is still used. Insist on a brand new in the box with no broken seal from Apple.

When I get a new device in the store I insist the sales clerk hands me the box and I check over the whole thing.

The wrapping and the seal must not be broken. Its a real hassle I know.

You pay for brand new never touched or activated, that is what you should receive.

Good Luck

0 Likes
"New" iPhone 5s
PennState22

That's what's so bad about this, Elector. It was a deceitfully, completely sealed box. Had we just activated it we would have never known, probably as so many others.

If T-Mobile had decent coverage, our 5 lines and my biz line would be down the road.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PennState22,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about this happening. I can assure you that this is definitely not the standard process. Any device that has been previously opened is no longer considered new and can only be sold as a certified pre owned device. If the device is unopended and returned within 14 days then it can still be sold as new. What was the store location you went to? Check here to make sure that it was a corporate store vzw.com/storelocator. I am concerned that this was told to you so please keep us updated.

0 Likes
PennState22

VZW Support,

I ordered this on 1/16/14 not in a store but via phone, 800-922-0204 and was told about the phones that are returned within 2 days are considered new by customer service also at said number when I called in to inquire why ours had someones email address loaded in it. Sorry, I do not have the name of whom I spoke to.

You have my personal email and cell phone with this registered account, feel free to text or email me for order #, main account phone #, order details, etc.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PennState22, that is odd!  If it was ordered over the phone, it would have been sent out from our warehouse.  I'm sure this was a mishap, and I'm confident it will not happen again.  If you'd like, please accept my follow request and send me a Direct Message so I can further review.  Thank you for being a part of Verizon Wireless!

Follow us on Twitter

0 Likes
PennState22

PM sent.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Two things come to mind. First if what verizon said about the first two days is considered new they lied. First the phone never would have gotten back to them in two days. (first lie)

The verizon rep here was correct that it should have been listed as Per Owned Like New, but the price of the phone drops so repackaging the device and saying it was new brings in the full cost so its good business to deceive you.

The second lie was selling used as new via the repackaging. Years ago I bought a computer part from Walmart and I noted the box was shrink wrapped, but it was the only model of what I wanted since the lower devices did not have all the bells and whistles. Needless to say when I opened the box the registration papers and set up disks were missing.

Walmart however was pretty decent in that they took it back, credited my card and said the store has a shrink wrap machine but in no way was the item not new? I pointed out someone either stole just the paperwork and set up disks or they bought it back and Walmart never checked the returned item. But they took it back.

Now later in the day I was in there buying a video camera for my wife, and in the electronics section the same exact item I returned was shrink wrapped again and being sold as new. Very dishonest.

Good Luck

0 Likes
PennState22

Hi AnthonyTa...Have you found any news in your review?

0 Likes