Re: "No SIM"?
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did restore from an ip4 backup, but it was working just fine and then gave me the "No SIM" error out of the blue (literally just minutes after I had made a call.

Since I popped the SIM out and put it back in, it's been fine again - hope it stays that way as I'd really hate to have to do a factory reset and reload everything back on manually - especially after I spent so much time getting my Apps organized on the phone.

0 Likes
Drahead

Odd -- this is my first iPhone (always had Droids), so had nothing to back up and I have had this happen twice. Will still make an appt with the genius's to have them look over -- once is bad, twice in 48 hours is more than I want! Smiley Happy

Loving  the phone otherwise!

0 Likes
cpdubes
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is seeming a common problem for a lot of people. I got a "no sim" Friday and turned it off and on and it worked fine all day Saturday. Then this Sunday afternoon got the "no sim" message. Turning the phone off and on did not work. Called Verizon tech support and they had me take the sim card out, the tech tried resetting the network from their end, but no joy. I was told I would have to go to the Verizon store and get a new sim card. Now I have no faith in this phone and am wondering whether I made a big mistake in getting it if the sim card won't last a week. This is my first smartphone so I haven't transfered anything from a previous smartphone. I did sync my music, pictures and tones from my computer to my phone and download some apps. The phone has lived in an otterbox since I got it and I haven't dropped it and at no time has it felt hot or felt like it was overheating in any way. Very disappointed right now.

0 Likes
Drahead

I didn't bother calling Verizon, just went straight to the Apple Store. They were a bit surprised that it was a Verizon phone and that it had a sim card -- they realized that the 5 actually has one now, not just ATT. They replaced it and called Verizon who reset me up with the new sim -- this was Thursday the 27th and have had no issues since. Fingers crossed it is only a sim card issue for you, cpdubes! Don't give up on it yet.

I've had smartphones for years, but this is my first iPhone (have a MacBook and iPad, so not new to Mac).

0 Likes
cpdubes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, I got resolution today for my iPhone 5 "no sim" problem. First I live in LA and had customer service tell me I would have to got to a Verizon store to get a new sim card since they couldn't fix my problem over the phone. So I go to my local store and it seems that all of the Verizon stores are out of sim cards. But they are sure Apple stores have them. Sure enough, the Apple store in Santa Monica has the cards. But the store was so busy they suggested I go back to the Verizon store to have the card installed on my phone or it would be a couple of hours before they could do it at the Apple store. So I go back to the Verizon store and after about a half an hour wait, I get the new card installed and am reconnected to the network. So far so good. I am able to make and receive calls, get texts, check and send emails, etc. I didn't lose any data, apps or settings either. It definitely seems that my problem was sim card related and nothing to do with the phone. I just hope this was a one time problem.

0 Likes
akdisney
Enthusiast - Level 3

today  after send a text I get no service No sim.

when to close 4G verizon store thay did restart took sim out put it back in.  Still No sim.

The store did not get there shipment of sim in.

so to a closes mall that have Apple store and Main teaching verizon Store

So when to the apple store first and there was a long wait

did the reboot and take sim out and put back in

then toll me to goto the Verizon store and get a new sim.

I toll the Verizon person What happen to me and the iphone have been reboot tow time and sim pull out and back in.

the verizon person did the same thing Reboot and pull sim out and back in

now get a New sim work find.

I ask about the sim, the caard is use to set up the celler network and wifi

Tell Iphone that is a Verizon network cellphone.

I had to put my wifi pass code back in.

: Tip Call first to see if Verizon store have the sim card

If you do it at a Apple store, saleperson need to send information to verizon to make the Iphone to work.

a lot  sim card going out himmm!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The Apple store was surprised that the VZW iPhone 5 had a sim card? THAT is odd since the iPhone 5 isn't the first VZW iPhone with a sim card (4s also had one) and the VZW iPhone 5 ships from Apple with a sim card installed (same as the 4s did).

0 Likes
swervinsuburban

Had the same issure I had the tech pull it out and swab it with an alcohol cloth then dry it with a non scratch terry cloth for cleaning screens, has been working ever since...they ordered me a new SIM anyway so I guess I will see what happens, I have a feeling the connection to the SIM card may be kind of bad these are MICRO SIMS newer technology if the SIM card was totally bad it wouldn't work at all so if you troubleshoot it from that standpoint it would seem somethings faulty with the actual sim card setup and connection.

0 Likes
JJB2306

Having the same problem- iPhone 5 has been getting No SIM or Invalid SIM errors about once a week. Hard reboot gets it up and running again, but it's incredibly annoying. Took it to the Verizon store and they said putting in a new SIM card won't help- Apple is working on a software update to fix this and there is nothing to do but wait. Were they just blowing me off?

0 Likes