Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
replacement iPhone5 is forced to be locked to Verizon?
vsaber

So I heard verizon iphone5s are unlocked out of the box from various sources...

Due to defects, I got replacement iPhone out of white box at apple store yesterday and while activating it, I noticed extra locking step that wasn't present when I activated original phone earlier.

While activating it told me to,

1. choose national carrier that I want my phone to be locked to.

2. only option I could choose was verizon

3. I selected it and it gave me warning "This can not be undone"

4. I had to lock my phone in order to pass the step.

So, am I screwed as international traveller?

Do people who got their iphone shipped directly from apple.com had this step too?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: replacement iPhone5 is forced to be locked to Verizon?
MarkInAZ88

The first iPhone 5 I got was shipped directly from Verizon and I did not have that step.  It came with damage so I had to take it back to Apple.  The one they gave me forced me to lock it to Verizon.  I would ask Verizon to unlock it as it is not supposed to come locked...  I don't use mine internationally so I haven't checked into it.  Please let the forum community know what happens.

0 Likes
raj25

What does the Model Number say in Settings -> general -> About ? Mine says ND643LL !! I thought model numbers start with "MD" instead of "ND".

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88

ND122LL

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vsaber

ND144LL

what does that mean?

I have white 32G replaced verizon model

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88

Black iPhone 5 Verizon 32GB

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
jhn168

I had my 32G iPhone 5 replaced too today at the Apple Store for technical issues. This is also the same experience I had. There was a prompt during activation of the replacement phone to lock it to Verizon. I didn't have this step when I activated the original phone. How and where can we raise this concern? Apple or Verizon? I gave up my unlimited data plan due to this upgrade and now, they're trying to control us to be exclusive to them?

0 Likes
dartmouth14

I have the same experience here - does anyone have any solutions?

0 Likes
Wallyworld83

I went to Apple yesterday and they said that if you take out $100 insurance plan with them that they would replace for free but Verizon did not tell me that when i got phone.  I would rather insured for just $100.00 then monthly on my verizon account.

0 Likes