restoring from a backup disables cellular data
sleepingAwake

I just switched tonight from an ATT iphone 4 to the Verizon iphone 5.

I made a backup of my ATT phone using Itunes and restored that to the new iphone 5.

After restore cellular data no longer works on my Verizon iPhone 5.

I have been able to duplicate and confirm the issue by erasing all content, activating the phone, test working cellular data, then restoring the backup again and losing cellular data. I can assure you that all options to disable 3G/cellular data are correct both before and after the restore.

I also have a ticket in for signal issues. My phone will get stuck in 1x mode even though the signal should be 3g as 3g signal worked in the same spot mins before. Once again something I can replicate.

I suspect the phone needs a modem update or the network needs an update in order work with the new iphone 5 modem.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: restoring from a backup disables cellular data
sleepingAwake

Diving into the issue more it appears that my ATT iphone backup is restoring APN settings for the ATT network.

You would think performing a reset of the network settings on the Verizon iphone would delete those settings but that is not the case.

Since my new iphone is not jailbroken I have no way of accessing the file system and deleting the file containing the incorrect APN settings. So while I know how to solve the cellular data issue after restoring I cant take action.

None of this explains the signal variance I experience as that is a separate issue.

0 Likes
sleepingAwake

Well heres another update folks.

Jail broke my old ATT iphone.

Used Winscp to access the file system and deleted the files within the mobile folder and system configuration folder(made backups incase).

Made a new backup and restored it to my new Verizon iphone. It worked.

I didnt lose any of my SMS, contacts, or bookmarks and 3g works.

Still need assistance with signal variance. Hopefully its either modem firmware or the way the network works with the new iphone 5.

0 Likes
mikeybeans

Hey sA, I'm running into the exact same issue restoring an AT&T iPhone 4 onto a Verizon iPhone 5. Been on the phone with Verizon customer service for an hour today, and they had me try everything (reset network settings, ejecting and re-inserting SIM card) wouldn't work. I wonder how many AT&T shipjumpers are in the same boat...

I've tried installing custom APN but I'm hitting an error telling me I already have an APN installed, so I can't install another one. Going to try your method right now. Hopefully I can replicate it.

I think you cracked it!

0 Likes
mikeybeans

Hey- found another workaround. Fixed it for me.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15828306#post15828306

0 Likes
sleepingAwake

Thanks Mikey

I like the method you uncovered more.

I have to ask was your ATT iphone previously jailbroken?

0 Likes
mikeybeans

Yep. I had jailbroken my iPhone 4 over a year ago, so it hadn't been jailbroken for quite some time, but I guess the corrupted APN settings layed there dormant in the iTunes backup like bad genes.

0 Likes
sleepingAwake

I guess those of us that jailbroke their ATT phones are going to be encountering this issue.

Well you gotta pay to play I suppose.

Still. I am having connectivity lag and issues with what seems like the data connection going dormant while I'm using it.

Not the only one too.

0 Likes