selling iphone 5s
kartd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear support,

I have upgraded to an iphone 5s. I signed a new 2 year contract in the process. I am happy with my current phone and would like to continue to use it. Can I sell my iphone 5s on ebay without activating it or removing the sim (i.e, without opening the box/seal). I am happy to stay in the contract and understand that I would not be eligible for an upgrade for another 2 years and that I cannot move out of the verizon network for another 2 years unless I pay the ETF of $350.

Once again, idea is to sell the iphone 5s intact without even having to taking it out of the box (higher value that way). If I leave the sim in, will I be sharing my personal information with the buyer of the phone ?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: selling iphone 5s
kartd
Enthusiast - Level 2

after further research, I found this (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785224) link. See the 5th answer from the bottom of the page. This is an answer from customer support.

Requesting customer support to verify the below information and to let me know if the same applies to my case as well.

"After ordering the device you have the ability to sell it in its original packaging with out activating it on your account. In regards of the sim card associated with the new iPhone, this will only come into play if you activate it on your account. So you can essentially keep the sim card in the new iPhone with out it affecting your account.   

To summerize, you can absolutely sell the iPhone 5 without opening it, retaining its pristine value, all while keeping your current number on your current phone."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

That phone is tethered to your account. Once anyone tries to activate it you will be responsible for it, the usage and the data overages etc. However you can activate it yourself, then it has to be on your account for a few days, you then go back into your account and place the old phone back as active. If you paid the device off you can then sell it to whom you please.

However it would be an open box sale (used) not new.

Good Luck

kartd
Enthusiast - Level 2

after further research, I found this (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785224) link. See the 5th answer from the bottom of the page. This is an answer from customer support.

Requesting customer support to verify the below information and to let me know if the same applies to my case as well.

"After ordering the device you have the ability to sell it in its original packaging with out activating it on your account. In regards of the sim card associated with the new iPhone, this will only come into play if you activate it on your account. So you can essentially keep the sim card in the new iPhone with out it affecting your account.   

To summerize, you can absolutely sell the iPhone 5 without opening it, retaining its pristine value, all while keeping your current number on your current phone."

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well I have read the thread and the verizon rep who replied. However my account executive told me that the new device must be activated to make the contract valid.

Let's say for example I went out and purchased a new iPhone from verizon at a reduced price with contract I then under the contract would have to have it on my account for say two days. After that time I remove the device and place my old one back on. I take the new used iPhone and sell it. Well my contract still was active with the new iPhone, so my service is extended by those two years.

Now say as you want, you purchase a subsidized iPhone with a two year contract, but never place it on your account. However verizon requires that the emeid/ESN be placed as active but it has not within a certain time frame, what happens?

That is a question I would want a definite answer on. To be safe call *611 or 1-800-922-0204 and speak directly with customer service. You will find that many folks here post that what was said by one rep is not said by another rep.

My best advice is call and ask. In fact call more than once and see just how many answers you get.

The account executive was for many years for a government account so it may be different for an individual consumer account. Check and double check.

Good Luck

0 Likes