simultaneous data and voice
suzannestone1024

so there is an article that states that verizon iPhone5 won't have simultaneous data and voice capability.  I heard from Verizon that isn't true...has anyone heard differently?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: simultaneous data and voice
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are several threads on this forum about this if you wanna do a search.  Basically, from what I understand, you'll have simultaneous voice and data if you are on wifi, you won't have it if on Verizon's data network.

0 Likes
Wescyde
Contributor - Level 1

It actually is true and there are few topics about this already to a certain extent.  If you are on verizon or sprint you cannot use both at the same time when using the 4G due to the antennas they have in the phone i believe.  However when your phone is using WIFI you will be able to do both since you will be using the wifi to surf the internet etc. 

0 Likes
pewaukee_ironman
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is going to cripple Verizon.  AT&T will remain the dominant carrier for iPhone despite Verizon's better network coverage and larger LTE deployment.  I love Verizon for its coverage.  I hate it for this major functionality gap.

0 Likes
Wescyde
Contributor - Level 1

There is no way that the fact you cannot use Voice and Data through verizon with 4G that they will be crippled.  its still possible on WIFI.  I mean no other IPHONE could do this so not like a big change.

0 Likes
pewaukee_ironman
Enthusiast - Level 2

In response to your claim that no other IPHONE could do this please note that the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S on AT&T all allow simultaneous voice and data over cellular network.  I know, I have a 3GS on AT&T now.  As for your claim that this won't cripple Verizon I'd suggest you compare market share between AT&T and Verizon on Apple and non-Apple smart phone products.  The data is eye-opening.  Verizon is dominant on the non-Apple platform but is far behind AT&T on iPhones.  There's a clear user group who cares deeply about the ability to log into data services (like Go to Meeting and Webex) while on phone calls to facilitate collaboration on projects.  The Verizon juggernaut for these folks has always been the inherent design limitation of CDMA.  The deployment of LTE created the opportunity for Verizon to break through.

If simultaneous data and voice isn't important than why does LG, Samsung, and others make phones for Verizons network that have the extra antenna needed to make it work over LTE and why would so many in this iPhone 5 blog be writing posts about their dissapointment in this limitation?

Wescyde
Contributor - Level 1

First off just to be clear I meant no other IPHONE on Verizon could do it before.  As far as why would so many people be writing about the limitation, you act like this is 80% of verizons customer base on these forums.  They probably do not even make one percent,  I never said its not an important feature but i did say it will not cripple them because that was what you said.  If people know this going in and still bought the IPHONE 5 and stayed with verizon when they had the chance to go to AT&T and did not then i guess they will just deal with it right?  The option is there...

Not to mention if a business is worried about it and they have WIFI then it is possible to do both, just not on the LTE

0 Likes