tough question: Can I purchase an off-contract iPhone 5 from Verizon and let my brother use it in Europe?
erea77

I have an iPhone 4S with Verizon, and I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to buy an iPhone 5 for the off-contract price just as if I was purchasing it for myself, and then ship it to my brother in Austria and let him use it there on the GSM network.

The reason I think this might be possible is because the GSM part of the Verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked out of the box (or so I've been told)

One obstacle that might stand in the way is if I have to activate the iPhone 5 with Verizon before I send it to him.

Let me know if this would be possible.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: tough question: Can I purchase an off-contract iPhone 5 from Verizon and let my brother use it in Europe?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If it is truly unlocked (versus the sim slot being unlocked), then yes you would be able to do this. I have no way of actually verifying if my VZW iPhone 5 is truly unlocked (I don't know of a local iPhone 5 AT&T customer to use their sim to see if my phone will work) but maybe someone on here has been able to verify this further than just what some articles state. Otherwise, if it's just the sim slot being unlocked then you would need to keep the phone active on VZW and your brother can use simcards on Europe to roam instead of paying the VZW roaming charges.

0 Likes