unable to connect to starbucks wifi
sjlee

I recently purchased a verizon iPhone 5, but I find that I am unable to connect to any Starbucks wi-fi. I can see and select the "attwifi" network, but then the logon screen appears and spins for ever. I think I tried it in a number of Starbucks locations, and was not able to connect in any of them.

I also tried resetting my network settings, but it didn't help. Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: unable to connect to starbucks wifi
WiseJD

I have been in several public Wi-Fi Networks with my iPhone 5 and experienced various levels of difficulty.  What I have found to be successful in most cases is the following...

Settings > Cell Data "OFF"

Now go back to Settings > Wi-Fi and select the network again.  I have then had a good stable Wi-Fi Connection.  This has happened at Skyline Chili, McDonalds and a local Dance Studio.  In some cases my iPhone 5 would not even detect the existing Wi-Fi Network, even while others around me were happily pounding away on their iPads and Cell Phones.  After turning Cell Data "Off"  I ether could join the Wi-Fi Network, or could Detect and Join the Network.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
sjlee

Thanks for the suggestion. I take you mean Settings > General > Cellular > Cellular Data?

If you turn this off, though, you would not have any data outside a wi-fi area. Do you need to keep this off, or can you turn it back on once you make the connection? Thanks!

0 Likes
WiseJD

You are correct regarding the path to turn off the Cell Data.  Clearly you are correct that if  you do not set Cell Data back to "On" you would not download / upload "data" outside of a connected Wi-Fi Network.  I find however that while in the 'Starbucks' or other Wi-Fi Network where you have had to do this to connect, you should leave the Cell Data "Off" until you leave that Network.  If you happen to accidentally leave it "Off" in error there is not much of a risk, as you will notice soon enough that your email, FaceBook updates, etc. are not coming in at your typical frequency and the first thing you will suspect is that you forgot to turn Cell Data back "On".  Hope this works for you.

0 Likes