using too much data
philipger

Like many of the previous post I have read on verizons website, There seems to be a communication break down between the customers and the representatives. Here is my problem, I am currently on the 3Gb per month shared data plan, Within the first 2 days of having my phone and using the data sparingly, I have still managed to rack up nearly 500Mb of data usage. Do the math, using the phone as I do now will have me somewhere near 7.5Gb of data at the end of the month/billing cycle. Now, I have taken all of the necessary steps that I have seen recommended by the representatives on this site ex: turning off cellular data when not in use, killing applications after I close them, making sure they dont auto refresh in the background etc..  Bottom line is, my mother is on a 5s as well, with a totally different carrier and she averages only about 50Mb of usage per day, she also uses here phone like most other people use a computer, constantly surfing the web and checking Facebook and internet related applications all the while not even worrying if her cell data is turned off or any of the other stuff that you all recommend doing to "cut down" on data usage.  Why would I even want a smart phone if nearly 90% of its features had to be turned off. There is a data usage issue here that is not being addressed and I refuse to believe it is caused by simply forgetting to "switch to wifi when available."  On the way home from picking my phone up from the verizon dealer a couple nights ago (a brand new phone) My data was already at about 250Mb. Impossible, that was me checking it before I had even opened safari or downloaded any apps. Strange things afoot here. My local dealer told me they couldnt help me and to contact customer support and customer support gave me the rundown about how I need to kill nearly every process on my phone.  I need answers here, or I would be glad to switch back to previous provider where I barely averaged 30Mb per day (using my phone all day long).

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: using too much data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to love your device and not have to worry so much about data usage, philipger. Do you ever use WiFi? If so, your device by design is supposed to turn off WiFi to save battery power. Also, on the new update IOS 9.0.2, there is a feature called
WiFi assist. WiFi assist supplements your WiFi with cellular data if your WiFi is not strong enough. To turn it off, go to Settings - Cellular data - scroll to the bottom and turn off WiFi Assist. You also have the opportunity to monitor your data on your device through MyVerizon. You can see what time data was used.

Please check those settings and see if that helps with your data usage.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
WGK1959

Hmmmm.  The problem sounds much like I had with a previous carrier, but not anymore.  Perhaps my settings on my new phone are different and now correct.  I'd have hoped the many hours on the phone and many phone calls with them woudl have led to a solution.  But no.  They continued to charge me hundreds of dollars, and then, after suspending service when I didn't cough up the extortionate payments, would supposedly graciously "credit" me back a portion of what they had over-charged.  I think they are either incompetent, crooks, or both.  Even calls to the corporate office, trying to make it right got me no where, so I switched carriers.  They were AT&T.  I have little respect for the company of several of the people in it with whom I spoke.  The CSR's were generally good, though the problems were so systematic and deep-rooted that they were never resolved.  It seemed to be a management problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CVJR, this insight into your experience stopped me in my tracks. Together we will get to the bottom of this. My colleague up in post 2 had a good suggestion in turning off WiFi Assist.  On top of this, the device keeps track of what apps contribute to this data usage. On the iPhone 6  head on into Settings > Cellular > under Use Cellular for, it list out those apps that you mentioned have been turned off.  In addition it shares details on how much data these apps have used since it was last reset. What apps show greater than 1 GB used? What apps show more than 100 MBs?
Inside the Galaxy as well, there is a monthly tracker of usage, it's found in settings > Data Usage > below the bar graph there is a break down of app usage. What are the top 3 apps and how much has these used?

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes