wife's phone uses data enen on wifi
xscott9

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to find what is causing to use data on my wife's phone at certain times during the day, even when it's connected to wifi.

It's downloading or updating every 6 hrs....can anyone tell me how to figure out how to turn it off

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: wife's phone uses data enen on wifi
wetrider97

you could try turning off the cellular data when on wi-fi, (should be Settings-Cellular-Cellular data) also is she losing the wi-fi connection?

0 Likes
wetrider97

also you can go to- settings- iTunes & App Store- and shut off the automatic downloads, and the use cellular data

0 Likes
Not applicable

Also be aware if the you set the phone down and the screen shuts off after a few minutes so does the wi-fi and the phone will start using mobile data. This is an issue Androids don't have.

0 Likes
jgyatesjr

Incredible data use. My son's phone used 1.36 gig at 1pm, 1.6 gig at 3:34pm, 1.27 gig at 3:55pm, another 1.54 at 7:31pm and then 1.99 gig at 9:46.  This was in one day and he was not streaming.  He has had heavy data use since he got the phone but now it has gotten ridiculous.  In looking at his usage over the last week I see data charges every 6 hours starting at 6:09 pm.Then 12:09 am then 6:09 am etc.  It is still cycling every 6  hours but now at 6:46 am,, 12:46 pm, etc.  What gives? Vertizon is not helpful so I looked on web and find our issue is not an usual one.  Many are having  data use problems. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Where are you getting the usage data from?  (Phone settings, Verizon website?)  How are you getting the hourly measurements?

Your iPhone measures data use from wifi and mobile.  Make sure you are looking at only mobile data use.  Are you sure it is measured in GB?   Data is typically measured in MB, or even KB

Since the data use is every 6 hours, I can guess he has his phone set to sync that often.

Go into cellular data and turn the switches off for all apps that are high data use and should be done over wifi.

Change settings to sync over wifi or on "push" or "fetch"

Set updates and sync to wifi only.

0 Likes