dburne
Contributor - Level 2

Dumb question I am sure, I am coming from an iPhone 4 which of course was 3G.

So now that I have my new iPhone 6 up and running, am I 4G now? I know on the iPhone 4 I had, up by the cellular signal it would say 3G beside it.

On my new 6, it does not state 4G or anything beside the cell signal...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G?
HiRez
Enthusiast - Level 2

dburne,

-- It will show "LTE", not "4G" (which is the same thing).

-- If you are on a wifi network, it will not show LTE even if you are able to connect, you would have to turn of wifi to check it.

-- If you enable Voice & Data, it enables VoLTE technology, which uses 4G data to allow for clearer voice signal. However, the catch is that only works if you are talking to another person who also has that turned on, and is also on Verizon. This setting will also let you use data (maps, Safari, whatever) while you are on a voice call. The minutes you talk in this mode are still billed as voice, not data (even though it's using data). If you do a FaceTime call, the voice gets billed as talk minutes while the video gets billed as data (you don't get billed anything for FaceTime on wifi). I think the reason that this is an option is because it's somewhat new technology that they have only recently enabled and as a result there might be some bugs to work out. You may (or may not) get some dropped calls or weird audio issues as a result.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dburne there's no such thing! We'll make sure everything is clear! The iPhone 6 is a 4G device so we'll ensure it is properly connecting. What zip code are you located in? Make sure LTE 4G is enabled by  http://vz.to/1r7CRtQ

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dburne
Contributor - Level 2

My zip is 37129.

I was in restaurant earlier and was updated my facebook app, noticed it said LTE by the signal icon. Does not say 4G or anything like that though, should it ?

Thanks,

0 Likes
dburne
Contributor - Level 2

Ok I checked in settings, LTE is enabled for data only.

Is that how it should be, or should it be voice and data??

0 Likes
HiRez
Enthusiast - Level 2

dburne,

-- It will show "LTE", not "4G" (which is the same thing).

-- If you are on a wifi network, it will not show LTE even if you are able to connect, you would have to turn of wifi to check it.

-- If you enable Voice & Data, it enables VoLTE technology, which uses 4G data to allow for clearer voice signal. However, the catch is that only works if you are talking to another person who also has that turned on, and is also on Verizon. This setting will also let you use data (maps, Safari, whatever) while you are on a voice call. The minutes you talk in this mode are still billed as voice, not data (even though it's using data). If you do a FaceTime call, the voice gets billed as talk minutes while the video gets billed as data (you don't get billed anything for FaceTime on wifi). I think the reason that this is an option is because it's somewhat new technology that they have only recently enabled and as a result there might be some bugs to work out. You may (or may not) get some dropped calls or weird audio issues as a result.

0 Likes
dburne
Contributor - Level 2

HiRez, many thanks for that info, that clears it up nicely for me! Explains why I saw LTE listed when I was out for dinner, but do not here at home as it is using the WIFI instead.

Thanks so much, I understand now! Think I will just leave it data only LTE for now, I don't really think I have a need to be able to surf the web while talking on the phone - nice to know that option is there though...

0 Likes