Anyone has a Verizon wireless account?
serisir
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I work for Expedia, a month ago I was in New York and purchased a brand new Iphone 6 from a store, At the moment I'm in the UK (London Office), I will be here for couple of weeks and then going to Paris Office. As far as i know Verizon mobiles are unlocked to any GSM network and When I insert a UK sim it doesn't let me activate it. I called Apple's Customer service to get some help, they were very helpful but couldn't do anything and then they put me through to Verizon Customer Service I spoke to this helpful lady she said I need a Verizon account to activate this mobile phone, which I didn't know this when I was in New York.

I was wondering if someone who has an account with Verizon fix this issue for me?

Thankyou

If you can help me please send a message.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Re: Anyone has a Verizon wireless account?
Snn5
Legend

That's a whole lotta hassle.  I say try to sell this phone where possible and find something that works from a reputable dealer and carrier in your location.

View solution in original post

Re: Anyone has a Verizon wireless account?
Snn5
Legend

You must be state-side to open an account with Verizon.  Verizon does not service the UK.  If you lived here and joined, then you could go to the UK and use a UK SIM card or Verizon International calling plans.  But, I do not believe it is feasible to try to use a Verizon phone in Europe. 

However, being an iPhone 6, you should be able to use a UK SIM in it, but you need an active phone and number to do so anywhere.  Did you buy the phone outright and in full amount?  Why do you need a Verizon account if the phone is unlocked and available to be used elsewhere?  You do not have to have a Verizon account to make that phone work.  You can get a local number where you are from a local carrier.

0 Likes
serisir
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi snn5,

I bought this phone on my last visit to New York and It was cheaper than Europe. However the phone takes any sim card from USA but it has an International Lock and only Verizon can remove this lock, this is why I need an account with them.

For e.g. I need someone who has an Verizon account, they need to call the customer services and tell them they got a new phone this is the IMEI number and they want to take off the international lock. As I'm the UK I can't get the phone activated.

0 Likes
serisir
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought the phone from CeX, Brand new in the box, after I couldn't get it activated I thought It may be blacklisted but Its not, done a check from Checkmend Full Clean. It was working in the USA but Doesn't work in the UK, it says Invalid SIM.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I don't think you'll find the unsolicited help you are looking for here.  If you just cannot use the phone, it is best to sell it and buy a phone and service best suited for your location.  Have you contacted Verizon via phone about this issue? 

00 800-50050099 is the Global Support Verizon number for UK travelers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

serisir I'm sad to learn you are in the UK and can't use the phone you purchased.  The option to have someone you know add it to their account is possible. However, the issue is the phone must be activated prior to leaving the U.S. I'm sorry I could not proivde you with better news regarding activation.
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

serisir wrote:

I bought the phone from CeX, Brand new in the box, after I couldn't get it activated I thought It may be blacklisted but Its not, done a check from Checkmend Full Clean. It was working in the USA but Doesn't work in the UK, it says Invalid SIM.

I would contact CeX and inform them of the issue.  However, this is dependent on their return policy and other requirements.  I have heard that a phone must be activated before leaving the states, but this sounds like this seller got their hands on a Verizon version of the phone, in which case, you might be out of luck.

0 Likes
serisir
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Apple's Customer Services to find out what was going on, the person I spoke to was very helpful and called Verizon for me, because only Verizon can take this International Lock, We did a conference call all 3 of us and the lady said she can do it but as I don't have an account she will not be able to take lock off.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Anyone has a Verizon wireless account?
serisir
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did contact CeX and let them know the problem I was having but it's been more than month (so it passed the return policy) and works as it should be in USA but has an International Lock (It's not blacklisted, no finance on it, fully clean) So they said there is nothing they can do. As I'm in the UK I can't even go to the store and see what we can do about this situation.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

serisir wrote:

I called Apple's Customer Services to find out what was going on, the person I spoke to was very helpful and called Verizon for me, because only Verizon can take this International Lock, We did a conference call all 3 of us and the lady said she can do it but as I don't have an account she will not be able to take lock off.

Your problem lies in the fact that even though you must have a Verizon account, the phone must ALSO be active on that account at the time Verizon removes the lock. EVEN if someone were to provide their account info for you, until you return to the US you would not be able to have that phone active on the account in order for Verizon to remove the lock.

Simply telling Verizon that you have an account will not help if the phone is not CURRENTLY ACTIVE on a line of service in Verizon's network.

For this to work, you would have to

1 -ship the phone to the US

2 - have someone activate the phone on a line of service

3 - remove the lock

4 - have the person take the phone off their account and put their phone back on it

5 - have that person ship it back to you