Can I lease an iPhone 6s from Apple and then go to Verizon and trade in my old broken phone that the contract is not up on?
ParkerMcKinley

My Verizon phone has a cracked screen and I can barely tap on anything without the back button and home button randomly doing it itself and going on and off like that. I want to go to an Apple store and lease an iPhone 6s and switch my old broken phone (the contract for the old phone is not up for renewal yet) for the iPhone. Is this possible? Or is there any way I can do something like this without paying a load of money? I don't want to pay the rest of my contract or an iPhone at full price. i would like to lease one. Is this possible?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can I lease an iPhone 6s from Apple and then go to Verizon and trade in my old broken phone that the contract is not up on?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ParkerMckinley, I am sorry to hear about your having a cracked screen on your iPhone. Let me try to give a suggestion to help you. While I am not aware of a lease program for an iPhone from Apple, you could direct that question to them to see what they have to offer but there can be something far better. Do you have insurance coverage on your device?  If so, this would be a way to replace the phone at a fair cost of the deductible and you can file the claim right here http://www.phoneclaim.com/ . Let me know if you need further assistance.
EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Can I lease an iPhone 6s from Apple and then go to Verizon and trade in my old broken phone that the contract is not up on?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The Apple program isn't a lease. You can think of it as such if you plan to upgrade every year with them...in which case you would turn in your iPhone (the one you start payment plans with them for) to upgrade to the next new one. Otherwise you would continue payments until you pay it off (full retail). You can't trade your broken iPhone in towards it...and because it's broken they would only accept it for recycling.

Loquat
Master - Level 1

From what you've posted it doesn't seem as though there is a cheap way to go.  You can get the iPhone from Apple and make monthly payments as kaebfly has mentioned...but you're still on the hook for the remainder of your contract.  Having your screen replaced on your current device may be the best (and cheapest) option for you right now...or at least until your contract has been fulfilled.  There are many places that fix broken screens...just google cell phone repair and your zipcode and I'd be willing to bet that there are many places (unless you live in a rural area) available.  Best of luck in whatever option you choose. 

Okheregoes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Parker,

Broken phones are frustrating.  At this point, I would visit your local Corporate Verizon store and explain the situation. I'm not saying there is anything they will be able to do to get you into a new phone, but there may be something they can do - the old saying... "it never hurts to ask."

If not, check on craigslist or eBay for a phone.  If you go this route, you will own the phone.  It may not be the latest model that you want, but it will be at a reduced cost.  Just remember to make sure it's a Verizon iPhone! 

And just so you know.....

When Verizon offered 2-year contracts -  you were buying a subsidized phone and paying full retail.  $240 for the phone and upgrade charge, then a monthly service fee of $40 which a portion of it was used to pay back the phone.  (Even though you didn't think you were paying full retail for the phone, you most certainly did - hence the 2 year contract. Also, Apple is probably the world's largest company and they didn't get there by selling $240 phones 🙂 ).

Under the new model DEVICE PAYMENT (which is WAY better), you pay for the phone on a monthly basis and you own it from day one - no leasing or renting.  If you ever leave Verizon, you aren't hit with any ETF's or extra fees, just the unpaid portion of your phone.  Then, once the phone is paid for, your montly bill is reduced by the amount you were paying for your phone.

No one ever thinks or intends to break their phone & I know insurance seems like a waste of money....until we need it. At $11 a month with a reasonable deductible compared to the total cost of the iPhone, in my opinion, that's money well spent.  iPhone's remain one of the most expensive phones to own now and for the foreseeable future.

Have a good day!

Mike

0 Likes