Can I still upgrade if my phone is damaged?
saltyy

Yesterday my iPhone 6s Plus fell out of my pocket into the water while I was at the beach.

It works perfectly fine, but from what I’ve read will eventually be destroyed by corrosion.

I’ve been paying my device off for over a year, and was planning to upgrade as soon as I finished paying which will be very soon. However, I’m scared now that I won’t be allowed to upgrade?

I have phone insurance through Verizon, but the lady I spoke with today was trying to tell me that the salt would evaporate (that’s not how it works, but ok) and that the phone would be fine. She said when it stopped working they would replace the phone for $149. 

As much money as I pay per month for my phone bill and the cost of this phone I want to upgrade.

So, since I’m eligible, can I still upgrade even though my phone took a splash in the ocean or does this render my phone ineligible?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I still upgrade if my phone is damaged?
rcschnoor
Legend

It is not clear what you are wanting to do.

First of all, you can upgrade at any time you would like. IF, though, you want to use your phone as a trade in towards you upgrade your phone must be in good working condition. If your phone fell in salt water, this would most likelly disqualify your phone for a trade in credit towards an upgrade. The water damage detector on the interior of the phone would most likely show the water exposure.

This does not disqualify you from simply upgrading without trading in your phone, though if you just looking to get a normal upgrade. If you are on an annual upgrade program where you have to turn in your current phone(in good working condition) prior to getting a new phone, then yes you would be ineligible or you would first have to get an insurance replacement.

saltyy

Hi,

I’ve never had the option to upgrade before, thus I’ve never upgraded. I’ve always just paid out of pocket for a phone. I guess I will go to my nearest Verizon store when the time comes and ask how it works.

I know that I am eligible for an upgrade as soon as I pay the remaining balance for my phone, but I don’t know if I have to trade my phone in or what. It doesn’t say. But I’m going to assume I probably have to trade the phone in which is too bad too sad because it’s been very well taken care of until the ocean got ahold of it. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

trades are a joke, even if in perfect condidtion. my perfect condition note5 is worth $70 on a trade & your 6s is worth less on a trade.

you should be able to go to myverizon on a pc/mac & find out what your payoff is to upgrade.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@saltyy wrote:

Hi,

I’ve never had the option to upgrade before, thus I’ve never upgraded. I’ve always just paid out of pocket for a phone. I guess I will go to my nearest Verizon store when the time comes and ask how it works.

I know that I am eligible for an upgrade as soon as I pay the remaining balance for my phone, but I don’t know if I have to trade my phone in or what. It doesn’t say. But I’m going to assume I probably have to trade the phone in which is too bad too sad because it’s been very well taken care of until the ocean got ahold of it. 

If it’s damaged it has no value and won’t be accepted as a trade in  

If your phone is paid off, it’s yours to keep.  Then you can use installments to upgrade.  You can always buy a phone outright as you did before, save the upgrade fee and keep your bill nice and low.  

0 Likes