Can I transfer an upgrade from one line to another, then cancel my contract on the first line?
Ney2

Can I transfer an upgrade from say line 1 to line 2 on my account, then cancel line 1 without getting slapped with a termination fee?

Line 1 wants to break from my family plan and I don't want to lose the upgrade opportunity since line 2 is not eligible yet.  Can I just transfer the upgrade then cancel line 1?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I transfer an upgrade from one line to another, then cancel my contract on the first line?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No. Once you upgrade on that line it will be in a new contract. You will have to pay the ETF on that line (if I'm not mistaken).  Or VZW may make you pay the full retail of the device.

View solution in original post

Re: Can I transfer an upgrade from one line to another, then cancel my contract on the first line?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No. Once you upgrade on that line it will be in a new contract. You will have to pay the ETF on that line (if I'm not mistaken).  Or VZW may make you pay the full retail of the device.

Ney2

I'm confused.  Here's the scenario.  Line one's contract is done already so it is now upgradeable.  Line 2's contract is not up until November.  If I transfer line1's upgrade to line to don't the contracts switch too?  or are both lines now obligated to renew a 2-year contract?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The contracts don't switch too. The contract is renewed/extended on line 1. The contract term for line 2 still ends in November.

If line 1 still wants to break off to a separate VZW account then you can complete the Assumption of Liability process without incurring an ETF, but line 1 would still remain under contract based on the last time the upgrade was used for that line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You're only transferring the device. The contract remains. What you're trying to do is get a "freebie" upgrade (not for free but without obligation). That's not going to happen. In order to get an upgrade at discounted price you have to sign a new 2 year agreement. You don't have to keep the device on that line but the contract remains because you used that line to get the discount.

0 Likes