Data Usage
AVSFAN20

We moved in the last few months from Highlands Ranch, CO to Castle Rock, CO (about 15-20 miles south of our previous residence).  Since our move, we keep getting usage alerts for our data.  We are not using our phones, both iPhone 6's, any more or any less than we used too.  We are connected to WiFi in a majority of the places we go.  And if we are not connected, we try to limit our usage.  How can this be occurring??  Our plan hasn't changed.  Our phones haven't changed.  Only our location has changed??  Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Frustrated User.

Brandi

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smartphones and the My Verizon app have tools that give a general breakout of data usage. Check both to see what they indicate.

Chances are, the increase is due to Administrative tasks that run overnight....backing up photos and whatnot to cloud accounts, app updates and so forth.

If you have a good land based Internet service at the new house, consider disabling 4G/LTE when home to force everything over to that service.

0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AVSFAN20,

We completely understand your frustration surround the change in your data usage. Thanks dexman, you've provided some great information. To view a breakdown of how your data's being used, check out the Data Utilization Tool in My Verizon using this link http://vz.to/1XzxMwm . You can also take a look at what's using your cellular data in your phones by going to Settings > Cellular > Use Cellular Data For . To get the most out of this option, it's best to reset the statitics at the bottom of that page at the beginning of your bill cycle to reset everything to zero. This way you'll get a more accurate account of which apps are using your data.

Since you mentioned that you're typically connected to WiFi, try disabling WiFi assist(Settings > Cellular > WiFi Assist) to ensure that your phone is not automatically switching to cellular data when your WiFi connection becomes unstable or poor. If you're really concerned with the data usage, the best option is to completely disable cellular data(Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data) altogether, as dexman mentioned, to eliminate any possiblity the data will be used when you want to use WiFi only or you can set limits on your lines using FamilyBase https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-familybase-faqs/#what .

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes