Does anyone else hear a fuzzy click about every 10 seconds during phone calls?
swmusic29
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on a new 6s and my girlfriend is on a 6.  Both phones are running the latest version of OS - 9.1.  We're in the Las Vegas area, in case location means anything.

We're both experiencing call quality issues when we're on calls to other mobile phones and land lines.  Specifically, we hear a fuzzy click (a brief half second of white noise) and it occurs about every 10-15 seconds on the call.  It happens when we're at home, it happens when we're at work, it happens in random places.  Since we're both experiencing the same thing, I'm assuming it's a Verizon issue.  I'm not sure if the person on the other end of the call can also hear the noise.

I've already called Verizon and Apple, we've run through many troubleshooting steps including:

- Turning off VoLTE or Advanced Calling ("data and voice" is not "data" only)

- Resetting network settings

- Restoring the phone

- Replacing the SIM card

- Replacing the phone

After all of the that, the noise still exists.  Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone experiencing this as well? 

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does anyone else hear a fuzzy click about every 10 seconds during phone calls?
Assurette
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this same issue with my iPhone 6s.  It occurs with +90% of my calls and is incredible frustrating. So today I went to my local Apple Store for a Genius Bar consult. They apologized and explained that in the last month they have seen 25 or more Verizon phones with this problem. They told me that their experience has been that replacing the phone does not resolve the issue. They suggested that a diagnostic be run on my phone.  The diagnostics did not indicate a problem, so it was recommended that the network be re-established by Verizon to address the connection issue. So not to send me away without any assistance, they suggested resetting the network connection on the iPhone, but explained that this may not address all of the problem. My network connection was reset at the store. 

It has only been a couple hours since the reset and unfortunately it still has a clicking noise during calls. With that said, the clicking is not as frequent during calls. Has anyone had Verizon re-establish their connection?  If so, has it resolved the clicking completely?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does anyone else hear a fuzzy click about every 10 seconds during phone calls?
BKWI
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes! It drives me crazy. Any answers?

0 Likes
swmusic29
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing yet.  What's frustrating, Verizon and Apple act like I'm the only person this is happening to.  However, from what I'm hearing, it's occurring pretty frequently.   I'm going to post the same issue on Apple's support page and see if I get any helpful responses there. 

0 Likes
cantrade

You bet, I have the same problem.  Brand new iPhone 6 and get exactly the same problem that you describe.  I have verified that the other party hears the noise also and they do.  What a PITA!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi cantrade, I can understand the importance of having a clear conversation on your iPhone 6.  Let me help to ease the pain and resolve the issue with the fuzzy clicking sound during your call. Is this happening when you are calling just one person or several people? When did this issue start happening? Share some details so I can look into a solution.  
EdwinWWWWW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BKWI
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for following up on this issue. 

In my situation, the fuzzy clicking happens during any telephone call.  I got my IPhone 6 on September 18, 2015, and it has been happening since.

BKWI

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BKWI,

I can see how this can be annoying for you. We surely don't want there to be any interference in you enjoying your phone and speaking to your friends and family. Where are you when you’re experiencing the noise on your call(indoors/outdoors)? What zip code are you in? What happens when you use the speaker phone?  Please share if you’re using a case or cover on your phone. If so, does the same issue present itself when the case is not on the phone? Any handsfree or Bluetooth devices being used?

ShawnteJVZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
swmusic29
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an update on my end:

- I called Apple tech support and after several questions, they concluded that it's not a hardware issue since the noise continued to appear, even after the phone was replaced.  They suggested I contact Verizon again. 

- I contacted Verizon and they have setup a ticket to potentially inspect the towers in my area (zip code: 89113).  They are also sending me a THIRD replacement phone.

- This morning I received a text message from Verizon Repair.  They acknowledged that I'm on my 3rd phone and are conducting testing by having me mark any calls that duplicate the sound.  (they gave me a number to dial immediately after any call with the noises).   I am conducting the test for both regular (Data Only) and Advanced Calling (Voice and Date).  The representative said "There is a known issue in reference to the iPhone 6/6s."  That's a start. 

That's it for now.  I will keep you posted on the progress from here. 

0 Likes
cantrade

Update:

I talked at length with the support staff over chat and they are sending a replacement phone to me for testing.  We tried all of the common fixes like removal of the case, etc and no joy. 

I am thinking that this problem is common in some iPhone 6 and 6S models but not others.  We got two identical phones at the same time and one has the noise while the other is clear as a bell. 

I will have the new phone tomorrow and we will troubleshoot on Sunday.  I'll post any results.

0 Likes
cantrade

SWMUSIC29:

The person on the chat section was very good and efficient.  She called me on the problem number and actually listened to the noise. (In my case both parties can hear the interfering noises.)  "The proof is in the pudding!"  I think for you to keep a journal record of the troublesome calls is a "iffy" technique at best and it would be better for the company representative to witness the actual problem.

0 Likes