Exceeding Data Package with iPhone 6s.
rottnsox

Our family has six iPhone 6s on the same plan, sharing 10 GB data.  This month we are dangerously close to exceeding our authorized data, and we are not certain why that is happening.  Can someone confirm if texting impacts data usage in any way?  Any suggested settings to help prevent this from happening?  I have absolutely no desire to increase our data ceiling, so I am open to ideas to prevent an unwanted bill.  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Exceeding Data Package with iPhone 6s.
Snn5
Legend

Texting on an unlimited text plan does not count against you, neither does MMS/pic messages, as it is part of the messaging package, uses data but doesn't count against your data.  I have heard that iPhones and Apple products in general tend to disconnect from WiFi when in sleep state or and unused state, specifically after the screen has been off for some time.  At this point, it will use Mobile Data instead.  What I have read on these forums is that you should disable mobile data whenever phone or device is unused for extended periods of the day.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Texting on an unlimited text plan does not count against you, neither does MMS/pic messages, as it is part of the messaging package, uses data but doesn't count against your data.  I have heard that iPhones and Apple products in general tend to disconnect from WiFi when in sleep state or and unused state, specifically after the screen has been off for some time.  At this point, it will use Mobile Data instead.  What I have read on these forums is that you should disable mobile data whenever phone or device is unused for extended periods of the day.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Texting does not use data, but iMessages do. 

0 Likes
philiph44
Enthusiast - Level 2

lots of games and videos use up data if you don't want them to run using your data go to the phone setting find your apps that you don't want to use cellular data for example netflix or you tube click on it it will open to a new screen there should be an option USE CELLULAR DATA if its green than you are using data turn it off and it will only work if you are connected to WiFi.

0 Likes