False data charges
tpaclebar
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was grandfathered in at having unlimited Data. My line used no more than 2GB of data each month for years. When the service agent talked us into switching over to a family plan so we can add a line we added an extra 2GB to ensure that we didn't go over our plan. All of a sudden my line went from using 2GB for years to using 6 GB each month which pushed us over our plan. When reviewing the usage, I noticed that they charged me for data when I was sleeping and at home connected to WIFI. They explained to me that apps run in the background, but if I am using my phone in the same manner as I always have, why wouldn't the numbers reflect prior. I believe this is a way that they get you. When researching, I am not the only customer who this is happening to. Also Verizon settled with the FCC on false charges suit. I have been with Verizon for over 12yrs and am now looking at other alternatives.

Are you having the same issues and have you looked at your bill lately?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: False data charges
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi julie99. Reading this truly saddens me. These are not the feelings we want you to have towards us. We want you to have answers with no excuses. Times reported are indeed delayed and can be reported at a later time, however, we want to find the culprit of your high data usage. How many devices do you have on the account? What devices are they? Have you verified the usage online to see what device is using the most data http://vz.to/1z1kvRW ?  

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Your iPhone disconnects from wifi when idle.  This uses the mobile data network.  Times reported are delayed and can be reported at low-use times like early morning hours.  You may have never thought to look into these reports since you never went over before, until now.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also remember to turn off the cellular data connection when you expect to be connected to a wifi router for extended periods of time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your concerns are quite important to us tpaclebar. I sent you a Direct Message so I can personally assist you, please reply to it.

AdaS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
julie99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am being charged for data i am not using. They break it down and have gamimg which we don't do.they said we were streaming videos and we were not. Now they say it is automatic upgrades. these have never been a problem before now. It was interesting to here that data is behind for charging. I have had 3 verizon staff say it is real time.  I have unplugged all computers, verizon wifi .... everything was off and unplugged. we were out of town for 3 days and i was charged data during this time. . Our usage also went from 5 gb to 9 the next month. They have many excuses but our use has not changed for months and months. Now in August it has double. Our use has not increased.  Again I am being charged for data i have not used. times when things were unplugged and we were gone. no tablets, laptops in the house. no smart phones.  They are committing fraud!!!!! I will continue to fight this and let anyone who will listen of these kinds of business practice

@

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi julie99. Reading this truly saddens me. These are not the feelings we want you to have towards us. We want you to have answers with no excuses. Times reported are indeed delayed and can be reported at a later time, however, we want to find the culprit of your high data usage. How many devices do you have on the account? What devices are they? Have you verified the usage online to see what device is using the most data http://vz.to/1z1kvRW ?  

JorgeO_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Susieq60
Enthusiast - Level 1

I experienced the exact same problem. I paid for 4gbs on my plan with 1 phone and 1 jetpack. My average was just over 2gbs to 3gbs for a long time. All of a sudden, I started going over 4gbs and was notified to purchase 1 extra gb. Then for some reason I started going over 6gbs! I started looking at my bills over the last 6 months and noticed I was using lots of data in the wee hours of the morning which is impossible. My computer is turned off at night and I do not share my data with anyone! I had complained a few times to a few Verizon reps and was told different reasons by both.One time I was away for 10 days and was using my friends  wifi for my computer and phone and my Verizon bill showed usage for me during those 10 days????? How is that possible?   When I went over the 6gbs I called and was offered the new data plan and now have 10gbs. Now I noticed my bill says I am using about 4gbs again???? I too believe that there is some "funny stuff" going on with Verizon. I think they should reimburse for all the usage that supposedly was being used in the early morning hours. Also, one rep did say that the the usage is delayed, but funny thing is my bill reflected the times I knew I was on the internet PLUS usage during the early morning hours. My whole entire family (about 60 people) have Verizon and they all have experienced the same as me....

Weth
Legend

Did you get a new phone recently?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The LAST thing that we want is for you to be uncertain about your wireless usage and how it's calculated Susieq60. Allow us to partner with you and verify that you are on the best plan for your wireless needs and confirm that the data usage is accurately present. If you can reply to the private message that we sent to you then we can begin. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
henrydowse
Enthusiast - Level 2

i feel you just went and got a new data line and a new phone  the phone had a alot  of apps preset to download  and was preprogramed  to use the other data line i  had to clean out all there junk they put on it and closed all data ports    was told that data logs lag   and that apps run in the back ground all the time the phone i have made it now were it will not use any data unless i chose for it to  

as for as the pc goes  WP_20151001_009.jpg

this is usage for the last month that the pc data line used  they can say apps run in back ground and they do but data usage logs on pc says it used way less then what thay are trying to clam  that they found data errors and told me that they would look into it and now   gave me a bill of over 500.00 dollers  i had a 20gb data plan and when the first went to a 30gb plane  and have been bill for around 40gb of data loooks like i'm going to raid this account  out and go back to the other one which they will have to pry form my cold dead hands unlimted data line here i come back to you and lets see as how much usage i can burn through in less then 30days   on that 60.00 doller line