How can I avoid international roaming charges while on a cruise?
Tobeycarol

I am going on a Caribbean cruise and want to be able to send and receive texts to/from the United States. I understand it is $.50 to send a text and five cents to receive one. But can anyone tell me what specifically I need to turn off on my iPhone 6s Plus to be sure that I do not get any roaming charges or cellular data charges or usage, just the text charges I mentioned above.  Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texting While Cruising Caribbean to/from U.S.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tobeycarol,

Great questions. I know it’s vital to make sure your settings on your iPhone 6s Plus are accurate to avoid any additional charges. To avoid any data charges, we suggest to turn off cellular data and have roaming off. You can also have the “Enable LTE data” option off. If someone calls you and leaves you a voicemail message no additional charge applies, but if you can a check the voicemail from your device it will while roaming. I hope this information helps.

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tobeycarol, we want to make sure that you can enjoy your trip. You can disable mobile data, to ensure that no usage occurs while roaming, but you would be unable to disable voice on your device as this would disable your texting capabilities. To ensure you are not charged for voice, please make sure that you do not answer a phone call when it comes through.

HarleyE_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Tobeycarol

In my last question regarding a trip to the Caribbean I got a good partial answer about how to set up my iPhone 6s Plus and pay $.50 to send and $.05 to receive texts, but I had asked for specific Settings. The answer was fine: to turn off data, leave the phone on, but don't answer calls. But I need more info. I need more specific help on what to turn off and what to leave on . Are these the settings (below) I need and will this leave "voice" on, while avoiding additional charges?

1.) I turn "off" the "cellular data.”

2.) I set "roaming" off.

3.) And under "Enable LTE data" I select "off" ( The only choices here are "off", "voice & data", and "data only". ) OR DO I SELECT "DATA ONLY”?

4.) If I don't answer a phone call and someone leaves a voice message, will there be any charge to me at all?

5. Are there any other specific setting I need to check out?

Thanks for your help!

Tobey

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tobeycarol,

Great questions. I know it’s vital to make sure your settings on your iPhone 6s Plus are accurate to avoid any additional charges. To avoid any data charges, we suggest to turn off cellular data and have roaming off. You can also have the “Enable LTE data” option off. If someone calls you and leaves you a voicemail message no additional charge applies, but if you can a check the voicemail from your device it will while roaming. I hope this information helps.

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tobeycarol

Thanks for such a complete and helpful answer!

Tobey

0 Likes