How can I group text without using data?
Diver05
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I first got my 6s, I could group text with no problems. Now I can only send/receive the group texts with data on. I've tried adjusting all the setting options Nothing seems to work.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I group text, without data
Weth
Legend

With Apple devices, texting can either go through Apple's iMessage, if all recipients have Apple devices and are signed up for iMessaging OR through Verizon's text messaging system if any of the receipients have a non-Apple device or a device that is not signed up for iMessaging.

Group messaging is a form of MMS (multimedia) messaging and is not straight text messaging (SMS). On Verizon, MMS messages must go through the cellular data connection. These will not work with cellular data turned off -- Unless all recipients are Apple users and then the group message will go through iMessaging and will work through wifi.

In summary, I suspect when it worked, you were group texting with everyone that had Apple devices. However, now that it is not working, at least one of the recipients does not have an Apple device or does not have iMessaging turned on.

To make it even more confusing, since you have a 6s, this is capable of wifi calling. If you are in wifi calling mode (top left will say VZW Wi-Fi instead of Verizon), then group messaging will actually work through wifi. No wonder no one understands it!  Let me know where you still have questions.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

With Apple devices, texting can either go through Apple's iMessage, if all recipients have Apple devices and are signed up for iMessaging OR through Verizon's text messaging system if any of the receipients have a non-Apple device or a device that is not signed up for iMessaging.

Group messaging is a form of MMS (multimedia) messaging and is not straight text messaging (SMS). On Verizon, MMS messages must go through the cellular data connection. These will not work with cellular data turned off -- Unless all recipients are Apple users and then the group message will go through iMessaging and will work through wifi.

In summary, I suspect when it worked, you were group texting with everyone that had Apple devices. However, now that it is not working, at least one of the recipients does not have an Apple device or does not have iMessaging turned on.

To make it even more confusing, since you have a 6s, this is capable of wifi calling. If you are in wifi calling mode (top left will say VZW Wi-Fi instead of Verizon), then group messaging will actually work through wifi. No wonder no one understands it!  Let me know where you still have questions.

Diver05
Enthusiast - Level 1

Correct, if one person doesn't have an iPhone, group text no longer works, without data. It did work when I first got the phone. I've never used the wifi calling mode. I've reset to factory settings and that didn't work either. Apparently its an issue for a lot of people, with no solution, Texting the same people (without iPhone) individually works fine.

Thank you for your response though

Weth
Legend

Individual text is SMS, data not needed

Group text is MMS, you must have cellular data

There is nothing wrong with your phone and all the rebooting won't fix it. it is how the Verizon's network works. It has always been that way. 

Group text will always require cellular data connection in mixed device group.  There is no solution as there is nothing not working correctly.  That is what I tried to tell you in my first post.