How do I stop using data?
GregInVermont

How do I stop using "Data" when using my iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon?

My iPhone 6 Plus is my third iPhone and I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon.  I recently was charged with a large chuck of “Data” and I called Verizon.  To stop using “Data” on any website, on Verizon, I was told that that I need to double click the “Home Button” on my iPhone.  I have never heard this before and stopping the use of “Data” on AT&T was never an issue.  Is this how you stop using “Data” on Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I stop using data?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

A quick way is to turn off Cellular Data in settings. This article tells you the pros and cons of doing so https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Double clicking won't stop data. It is how you close open apps (assuming you complete the process of swiping up to "close" each open app). If you're trying to completely turn off data you can do so under settings. Or you may need to adjust settings for individual apps and features to manage what does and doesn't use data. Some things will allow you to dictate if cellular data is used versus wifi. But you have to be specific about what you're looking to do.

0 Likes
GregInVermont

Thank you for your quick reply...

When I am using my iPhone (using WiFi) and I am browsing through a website.  How do I stop using “Data”?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

A quick way is to turn off Cellular Data in settings. This article tells you the pros and cons of doing so https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

0 Likes
GregInVermont

That is a pretty involved way to exit a website and stop data usage.  I didn't have this problem in all the years my carrier was AT&T.  I was told that data was used only to open the page you are viewing (or something like that).  Now on Verizon, I was told that I needed to double click my "home button" twice.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Again, double clicking the home key has nothing to do with it so the rep that told you that was incorrect. That is how you close apps as I mentioned before.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Turn off cellular as kaebfly states us the most sure way.  Closing background apps can help. That is the double click home button and then swiping all open apps upward to close them so they do not run in the background. 

0 Likes
GregInVermont

Right - which shows that when I called Verizon Customer Service on 9/10 that she didn't know what I was talking about.  Simply put, when does Verizon stop charging for "Data?"  I would think that using "Data" (like on AT&T) stops when the page you are viewing is loaded on the iPhone.

What apparently happened to me is that I clicked a "game" without knowing it and I turned off my iPhone, but the game ran on it's own and used a lot of my "Data."  Needless to say, I was not happy about this.  First, I never play games and second because of they way "Data" continues to be charged.

If "Data" stops when the page you are viewing is loaded on the iPhone, I think we can close this out.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is not that simple.  Some websites will continue to use data, such as those with dynamic content, video content, ads, audio etc. 

0 Likes
Jbash99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very frustrated, been a customer for over 20 years, my daughter's phone was stolen, and of course we didn't have insurance, but can't see why we can't get another phone without paying 600$, it's ridiculous, never late on a payment, we have 3 smartphones on our account, but have no upgrades till April, so my daughter has to use a old flip phone until April!!!! That's not right, does anyone have any ideas on how to get her a new phone, there has to be away around this!!! The customer service people can only tell me that I should of gotten insurance!  Well I know that now, but that does not help med now at all!!  Am I gonna have to switch all our phones to Sprint to get phones!  They say they will pay my change over and cancellation fees, is that really my only option??????

Very mad customer!!

0 Likes